Author Topic: jones from Llanuwchllyn and Humphreys from Trawsfynydd  (Read 3686 times)

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
jones from Llanuwchllyn and Humphreys from Trawsfynydd
« on: Wednesday 24 November 10 20:05 GMT (UK) »
can anyone help.

my g g g grand father william jones b in Llanuwchllyn in about 1808/7 married Margaret Humphreys in Trawsfynydd on 12 October 1833.  however, on the 1851 census and thereafter the family are known as the edwards.  according to fam hist I was given edward jones of Llan married on 22/4/1808 jane hughes of the same parish.  this was taken from the Llanuwchllyn minutes of the church.

does any one know where the edwards came in as a surname.
tx
hooley/cheshire. vernons/cheshire. booths/cheshire
partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: jones from Llanuwchllyn and Humphreys from Trawsfynydd
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 24 November 10 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Regular standard surnames where all members of a family have the same last name as their father did not become common amongst the lower classes in Merionethshire until the mid 1800's. Before this time a person's surname would be his or her father's first name. William the son of Edward Jones would be known as William Edwards.  Likewise Margaret is most likely to be Margaret the daughter of Humphrey Xxxxx rather than Margeret the daughter of Xxxxxx Humphreys (Trawsfynydd Baptisms Sept 9 1810 Margaret daughter of Humphrey Owen Blaen y Cae and Dorothy his wife formerly Dorothy Richard possibly).

During the period of change in naming traditions (about 1850-1870) you might get different documents using different styles so William may well be William Jones in some documents and William Edwards in others

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 25 November 10 08:36 GMT (UK) »
tx for that info, I think I get it.

could I ask for one more favour. wm jones who married margaret humphreys, his mom and dad were I think edward jones of Llan and Jane williams of parish married on 22 april 1808 in presence of John Hughes and robert edward.

then underneath it says HYSBYSWYR Y MARWOLAETHAU, I know this is welsh but could u poss translate it for me.  my knowledge of welsh is very limited (I am ashamed to say) having learnt it in first school (altho born in chester) since moving down to midlands during the 60s have lost a lot.

what does Rhydloyw family and tan-y-Ffordd family mean.  and tyrpeg.  half the fam history i have been given is in welsh.
tx again

partridges/shrewsbury. evans/pontesbury, shropshire. blowers.shropshire. davies/shropshire. edwards/llay and bala. fox/shropshire

Offline Dolgellau

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 25 November 10 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Hysbyswyr y Marwolaethau means "those who notified the deaths" - which seems like an odd thing to write on a marriage notice.

Rhydloyw family etc means the family who lived in a farm / house called Rhydloyw.

Rhydloyw means sparkling stream
Tan y ffordd is  Under (ie on the lower side not underneath) the Road
Tyrpeg is Turnpike (a place where road tolls were collected)

Offline mollymandysb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 25 November 10 15:14 GMT (UK) »
many tx for that

of course ffordd is road, my welsh is coming back to me.

I have a list from the minutes of Llanuwchllyn Church first up is the baptisms, then the marriage banns and then the deaths. I think I have just managed to work it out that ed jones died in 1866 and robert edwards his son signed and the mom jane jones died a bit ater in the year with john edwards the son witnessing.

tx again