Author Topic: WW2 Keeper of house of ill repute  (Read 18723 times)

Offline monica meg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 Keeper of house of ill repute
« on: Saturday 30 January 10 18:01 GMT (UK) »
I would appreciate any pointer's to help with another family legend.
My G Grandfather, so it was whispered kept a house of ill repute, during WW2 in Lower Peover, Cheshire. Apparently my father was sent to him from Manchester during the war, after word reaching my Grandmother of the situation, he was quickly collected and returned home.
His name was Benjamin Burnett born 1873 in Salford, Wife Ellen born 1876 in Manchester.
I do not know where to start with this, and cannot trace death index's and have no information on Lower Peover.
Not sure if I really want to verify this :o
monica meg
Burnett, Manchester, Halifax
Mccaffery Manchester, Ireland
Law Manchester
Riley Manchester, Ireland
Boswell Manchester, Ireland
Hamilton, Lanarkshire Scotland
McLauchlan Lanarkshire
Lawson Lanarkhire
Yuill Raeside Lanarkshire
Nimmo Lanarkshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Keeper of house of ill repute
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 January 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »
One possibility would be the electoral registers for the area, both before and after WW2. Most of these still survive, and would give a good idea of the number and gender of adults in the premises at the time. Then, assuming you are able to establish the address look in the local newspapers, or possibly the Sunday papers for any reports concerning the premises. Good hunting, and don't let your finds put you off.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline monica meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 30 January 10 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Redroger, being new to this, oh okay a numpty I do not know how to access electoral registers, could you give some advice. This could help me learn more and may help in other areas of research.
monica meg  :-[
Law Manchester
McLauchlan Lanarkshire
Lawson Lanarkhire
Nimmo Lanarkshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 30 January 10 19:08 GMT (UK) »
The local reference library should have them, failing that, if you are within range and sufficiently mobile the British Library in St. Pancras has a very complete set. The problem with them is that they are arranged by parliamentary constituency and are listed in address order, since 1973 though prior to that some rural areas had them listed in surname area, which would help find your ancestors but could make locating others at the address more difficult. There is always Kelly's directory for the area which usually gives the name of the head of the household only in respect of residential addresses. If the place concerned was a public house then there is usually a separate listing which makes things easier. Hope this helps.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 January 10 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Just looked and find it's near Knutsford, and still has a parish council which suggests in WW2 it may have been very rural. Ask the Reference Library at Knutsford which constituency it's in now, and which it was in on the 1935 and 1945 electoral registers. They should at least be able to give you directions to a book which has it. Then proceed as I outlined in previous posts, if it is as rural as it seems then it shouldn't be too difficult once you find the register.

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 30 January 10 19:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Not sure if this will be useful but during WWII until about 1950 Peover Hall was requisitioned for use by General George Patton and the US Army.

;)

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 30 January 10 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Some people might consider this requisition to make it a house of ill repute, but since you now know the address it makes pre and postwar identification smewhat easier.

Offline monica meg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 30 January 10 19:24 GMT (UK) »
Think I may pour a small whisky before I start this one
This family history addictive.
monica meg ;)
Law Manchester
McLauchlan Lanarkshire
Lawson Lanarkhire
Nimmo Lanarkshire

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 30 January 10 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I wasn't suggesting the US army had made Peover Hall a house of ill repute.  I was just thinking there might be a need for such a place nearby, if you know what I mean.

I think Peover Hall is in between Lower and Over Peover.  Redroger is right, Peover was very rural and to a certain extent still is.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire