Author Topic: William Wallace Douglas in Trinidad  (Read 2060 times)

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Wallace Douglas in Trinidad
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 22:21 BST (UK) »
And - across the page on that 1911 passenger list - Helen Blanche was born at sea https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/TH-1942-21879-2986-4?cc=1916009
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
I have not been able to log in to Family Search for a bit (am trying to sort out why) but I didn't know they had such things as ship passenger lists.   
I think Helen Blanche is the widow of William Wallace Douglas (she was Tente).   I must take a closer look at all you have sent and the links, to try and makes sense of it.
Surely only with FH can you get excited when discovering information on ancestors even when they are not your  line !    And to have people help when it is of no benefit to them in their search.
I only hope I can help someone on this site as I have been helped.
But always greedy for more  - anything else !
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 May 14 08:40 BST (UK) »
I had spotted the various newspaper reports referred to above by "ShaunJ" about a William Wallace Douglas''s appearance in Court when chasing information re. your separate post about John Gordon Douglas' son possibly inheriting a title?

William's age was given as 48, which was a possible tie in to the 1846 Jamaican baptism of a William Douglas (albeit w/o the Wallace).

All very "tenuous" but worth filing away. 

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 May 14 09:07 BST (UK) »
I would love to know why William Wallace Douglas went to Trinidad from Scotland.    My friend's grandmother Lillias Monteith Douglas was born in Demerara, which has associations with the sugar i am sure.   As it has been difficult to find and confirm details on this family in Scotland (though with the help of folk on RootsChat she is a bit further on in her research now) finding information from Trinidad would be impossible I would think.  (That is unless you are a 'celebrity' and have a BBC production team do it for you of course !)
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 May 14 16:34 BST (UK) »
According to the 1920 US census, Helen Blanche Benlisa was born in England of English parents.

There's a 1929 death for Helen B Benlisa, aged 76, in West Bromwich, England which could be her.

I can't find any record of a Helen Blanche Tente

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 May 14 18:42 BST (UK) »
Why was Helen Blanche Benlisa on a USA census ?   Where was she living on the census ?  Did you find this census on Family Search website ?    I am still having a problem accessing that website.

Does sound like her for the death entry.  I have her husband Albert's death entry in Mississippi though in 1939 (thanks to a reply on this website)

Tente I understand was her maiden name.   In fact, she married William Wallace Douglas and was either widowed or divorced and married Albert Benlisa.

Thank you for further contribution.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 May 14 06:22 BST (UK) »
Albert & Helen were in New Orleans in the 1920 census

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MV7N-2FW?cc=1488411