Author Topic: Reynolds- I don't have much information  (Read 4620 times)

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Reynolds- I don't have much information
« on: Monday 25 August 14 15:58 BST (UK) »
 I am looking for any data on a   James Reynolds. He was born around 1930 and lived in Co. Antrim.
 I know that he left there and came to Toronto area in Ontario Canada. He also married here. I'd like to know anything that's possible about him and especially where he lived in Antrim, etc. I know it isn't much information but something might tweak.
Co.Antrim- Boomer (Bulmer), Partridge, Houston, Alderdice,
Co. Down- Leckey (lackey etc), Taylor,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Reynolds- I don't have much information
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 August 14 16:23 BST (UK) »
Any details on death or marriage certificate that could give clues?

1930 is well past the last available census (1911) and online civil registration index for Northern Ireland counties only goes up to 1921. If you get the parent's names you might have some luck finding them in 1901 or 1911 census and if some relatives start in Northern Ireland PRONI Will etracts might give you a few dates, etc.

You could also try searching for James Reynolds leaving the UK and arriving in canada (Ancestry have passengers leaving U.K. up to 1960)- if you haven't a subscription then your local library might.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 August 14 13:12 BST (UK) »
Could this be him ?
REYNOLDS    JAMES    1936    —    1953    Passenger Lists leaving UK 1890-1960    Saint John NB, Canada from http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records-in-travel-and-migration

How do you know he was from co Antrim, did he mean Belfast Co Antrim or the rest of Co Antrim Its going to be searching street directories etc which are few and rarely indexed for this date. They can be good on Belfast and very difficult otherwise. See www.lennonwylie .co.uk for say 1943. You could make an index of them by trying in Reynolds 1943 but its too difficult until she has finished her index and   There are post office directories not seen by me.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 September 14 23:03 BST (UK) »
When I wrote this help item I knew there wasn't much info to give.The man is a friend of ours and he knows very little about his background except they came from Co. Antrim. His brother has all of the information but won't give it to him. So I thought i would try to help. He got married here in Toronto and I know the ladies name so will try that. It's tough being a more recent search as so many things like census etc are locked. I will try and push harder for him to try and remember the town even. Thanks for your help and I will try what information you have given me.

Offline healyjfch

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 09:59 BST (UK) »
Try looking in familysearch.org for the known surname Reynolds
Its free

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 03 September 14 10:05 BST (UK) »
I'm a bit confused here-
... The man is a friend of ours and he knows very little about his background except they came from Co. Antrim. His brother has all of the information but won't give it to him. So I thought i would try to help. He got married here in Toronto and I know the ladies name so will try that. It's tough being a more recent search as so many things like census etc are locked. I will try and push harder for him to try and remember the town even. Thanks for your help and I will try what information you have given me.

Is the James Reynolds you are asking about this friend you are trying to help? Or is your friend just related to this James Reynolds? When you say "I know the ladies name so will try that." do you mean searching for a marriage record? Each province has different restrictions but in general recent details will not be available.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 15:45 BST (UK) »
The James Reynolds is a close friend's father.
 The lady mentioned was the  wife. I thought I would check the churches in the area where they lived. and family search.  I have had very good luck in finding records from the churches in Ontario.    thank you for your enquiry.

Offline Mykin

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 15:49 BST (UK) »
Try looking in familysearch.org for the known surname Reynolds
Its free
Thank you, I did look once and didn't get lucky but will try it again. It always helps if somebody else is researching the same name but haven't seen any evidence of that.

Offline belle4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have searched on the general records office for northern ireland:(https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/) and found no James Reynolds born in and around this time. It is possible that it has not been transcribed yet. However, there are plenty of Reynolds in Antrim.