Author Topic: Burials in St Mary's Stodmarsh  (Read 1407 times)

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burials in St Mary's Stodmarsh
« on: Sunday 14 December 14 18:26 GMT (UK) »
hello
Can anyone tell me if there are gravestones to be seen at St Mary's Church in Stodmarsh.

I am looking for the graves on James JARVIS who died 1866 and Elizabeth who died 1867. Their burials are listed in the parish registers and I would love to see any MI that exists.

Thanks

Heather

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Burials in St Mary's Stodmarsh
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 December 14 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Certainly looks like it from this site. Why not drop them a line and ask? The thing to remember though that not everyone could afford headstones. I have a lot of relatives listed as being buried in a local churchyard, but no marked graves.

http://www.ukattraction.com/south-east-england/st-marys-church-stodmarsh.htm

Added: If you look at it on Google maps street view, it does look as if the churchyard may have been tidied up and a lot of graves removed.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scobie79

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 27 December 14 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Hevside.
I had a walk around Stodmarsh churchyard on Christmas Day. It is only a small churchyard with not many headstones. Unfortunately, I could find no Jarvis headstones, so suspect that Groom is correct and that none actually existed. It would seem that you will need to check parish registers (which you have probably already done).
All the best for the New Year,
Scobie

Offline hevside

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 27 December 14 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you scobie and groom. I don't believe this family had any wealth so I am not surprised at no headstones. I have sent an email to the church contact and it has been forwarded to the Stodmarsh person so I may get more info. The burials have already been seen in the parish registers. I will post if I get any further news. Thanks again and hope it was a pleasant walk for you  :).