Author Topic: BEER, SHARP, Dover  (Read 13460 times)

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • over 70 and still wearin' genes!
    • View Profile
Re: BEER, SHARP, Dover
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 August 09 16:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cas - Dave may well be correct on that one - I have never got round to chasing up that marriage.
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Ey, Sawyer: London
Evans: Ystradgynlais, Wales
Snell: Snettisham, Norfolk
Knight, Burgess, Ellis: Hampshire
Purdy: Ireland/Canada/Durham/Pennsylvania
McCann: Ireland
Morrow: Pennsylvania
Sparnon: any
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline janeinspain

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 August 09 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cas from me too.

I already have the Beer/Amos connection so your info has been very helpful.

Having only joined Rootschat the other day I want to say how helpful and friendly everyone is and I'm so happy I joined

Regards Jane
Beer, Waller - Kent: Bracher - Middlesex: Stroud - Buckinghamshire & Middlesex: Bromham - Kent, Sussex & London

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 August 09 10:18 BST (UK) »
I have a problem with William (or William Henry):
In 1841, William is shown in the census as 4 years old - born c.1836/7, but in 1851 he is 12 - born c.1838/9.  Dave shows William Henry, born c.1839.

I am going to have to check for baptisms of all the children - I don't know why I haven't already got them.

I have 5 of them, but the third one is not in any of the lists, so probably died before 1851:
Edward, bapt. Hougham St Lawrence, 31 Oct 1835
Mary Ann, bapt. Dover St Mary, 18 Dec 1836
Rachel, born 20 Aug 1843, bapt. Buckland St Andrew, 1 Oct 1843 (death Sep 1844)
John, born 5 July 1845, bapt. Buckland St Andrew 24 Aug 1845
Joseph, bapt. Charlton SS Peter & Paul, 9 Dec 1860

Bill
Banks, Beer, Bowes, Castle, Cloak, Coachworth, Dixon, Farr, Golder, Graves, Hicks, Hogbin, Holmans, Marsh, Mummery, Nutting, Pierce, Rouse, Sawyer, Sharp, Snell, Willis: mostly in East Kent.
Beers, Heath, Conyers, Miller, Russell, Larson, Clark, Sibert, Hopper, Reinhart: USA

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 August 09 11:29 BST (UK) »
Bill, I've just looked at the census page and it is definitely a 2 (perhaps overwritten with a 4?) for William Henry.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 August 09 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Cas - I'll have to look again at the film.  My wife transcribed it many years ago, probably in the days when you used to sit in a darkened, and silent, room in London peering at the small reader screen!

Cheers
Bill

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 August 09 17:33 BST (UK) »
According to a fellow researcher Richard BEER married Rachel SMITH http://www.fadedgenes.co.uk/FrederickAMOS.html and there would be a Rachel SMITH baptised in Alkham about the right time http://www.familysearch.org

Dave admits that he has not actually found the marriage - he has based his assumption on her place of birth on the census, and age at death, which match the baptism of Rachel SMITH at Alkham, so we still need to find the marriage in order to confirm this assumption.

Bill

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 27 August 09 14:57 BST (UK) »
Checking back through my notes I have come across information from another descendant of Thomas, son of Richard.  This person has Rachel's maiden name as WHITE.

According to the IGI, Rachel WHITE was baptised in Alkham on 9th April 1815, daughter of Mathew and Elizabeth WHITE.

Incidentally, the present generation of that family line has resurrected the old family name of Phineas!

Jane - Phineas would be your 3rd cousin!  Unfortunately I can't find the details of the person who sent me the information at the present time.

Bill

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 October 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
You may well have caught up with things by now but, if not, there is a marriage Richard BEER to Racheal WHITE at Hougham 1835 http://www.familysearch.org (select Record Search Pilot)

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bill749

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 October 10 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for pointing that one out Cas - I can't tell from the record if this is extracted or submitted.

Bill