Author Topic: Which Charles Bunday/Bundy 1842?  (Read 5753 times)

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Which Charles Bunday/Bundy 1842?
« on: Monday 21 May 12 17:53 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I've just hit a snag with my family linneage.

I've just discovered that a great x? grandfather was a Charles Bunday born about 1842 in Woodgreen, Hampshire.

Census records give his name as Charles Bunday, marriage certificate as Bundee but his death certificate gives Bundy (i've just ordered this...)

A search on findmypast doesn't give any matches for Charles Bunday about 1842 but several about Bundy's about 1842.

Which do I order first? Is there anyway to work out which would be my ancestor? The marriage certificate gives his fathers name as James Bundee.

Thanks

Rich

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Which Charles Bunday/Bundy 1842?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 21 May 12 17:55 BST (UK) »
Any occupation or witness names on that (YEAR, where) marriage?

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 May 12 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Unfortunately the age is simply "Full age" and the occupation is shown as 'Labourer'.

I would imagine that he was a farmer / worked on a farm. His son and grandson did!

Rich

Edit - The marriage was in Whitsbury 1866. The witnesses were George Robert and George Stagg.

Charles and Sarah Bunday then lived in Fordingbridge from what I can work out.

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 31 May 12 15:53 BST (UK) »
So i've now got the birth, marriage and death certificate which I believe is for Charles Bunday.

Death - 1925 Charles Bundy - 83 years old. Farm Labourer. Died in Whitsbury. Informant. Son, W Bundy (From my records he had a son called William) There was another possible death in 1926 but I don't have this record.

Marriage - 1866 Charles Bundee. Full age. Wood Green. Interestingly, lists fathers name as James Bundee.

Birth - 5th March 1843. Charles (no surname given in name of child). Wood Green. Father James Holly. Mother Hannah Bundy.

I've looked at the census and now i'm just confused!

I couldn't find a match for Charles and his parents living together in 1851 or 61. So I took a look at James Holly. I found a hit from 1851 and 61. James Holly, Hannah Holly and Charles. Born Woodgreen in 1843.

Is this common? Why would the birth index show Charles Bundy when fathers surname was Holly? Why would his fathers name then be listed at James Bundee on the marriage certificate?!

Thanks,

Rich

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 31 May 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
He was obviously illeg as James/Hannah did not Marry til 1844.
Reg, Dec 1844, Fordingbridge, 8 279
You are lucky that James Holly was named as his Father on the Birth Cert.

In my opinion he may have gone back to his Mothers maiden name post 1861 Census and Married under that name. For the reason of not embarrassing himself he named a James Bundee as his Father on his M/C.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 31 May 12 17:21 BST (UK) »
Interestingly, i've just found his birth certificate as Charles Holly. The details are exactly the same. Same page and volume number.

I'm glad that James Holly accepted that Charles was his son, otherwise i'd be hitting a dead end. I've hit enough of those already.

It's surprising just how many children were 'illigitimate'

Thanks,

Rich

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 31 May 12 17:27 BST (UK) »
Too true, I have a few "buns in the oven" before the Marriage also :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline rjb1984

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Bunday/Bundy Hampshire, More help needed!
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 21:08 BST (UK) »
Continuing along my Bunday line i've moved past Charles Bunday.

Charles mother was Hannah Bunday, born about 1820 in Wood Green Hampshire. Christened in Hale, Hampshire.

Her father was James Bunday, mother shown as Rachel. The only marriage record I could find was between a James Bendey and Rachel Downer in Hale, 1808.

The 1851 census shows James and Rachel living in Woodgreen. The surname being Bunday. This census shows that he was born in Fordingbridge in 1787. (This record appears to show the name Jas and I think has been wrongly transcribed as Jon)

I have been unable to find any baptism records for him, or any which would help me take it back further. I've widened my search and found the only one possible -

James Bundy, baptised 1786 in Downton, Wiltshire.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or advice as i'm stumped now!

Thanks,

Rich

Offline dhowse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 December 12 03:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rich
 I am a Bundy and a descendant of James Bundy and Rachel Downer of Woodgreen . I have not been able to get back any further than James either. Have you had any more luck?
regards
deb