Author Topic: Searching for the right John Hall.  (Read 5017 times)

Offline hallsearch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for the right John Hall.
« Reply #9 on: Monday 08 December 14 14:52 GMT (UK) »

Hi Maddie and Jo. 

Thank you both very much for your replies and for your efforts. 

Firstly about the military record.  I have a copy.  The Attestment Date is Feb 5 1879 signed at London.  Says on it "Joined at Portsmouth".  In what Parish and in or near what Town and in what County were you born?  "St Clements, London, Middlesex". 

The The original service number was 3496 which changes to 24977 later on.  It all seems to match up timeline wise and there are references to his wife and children and India so appears definitely to be his record.  His discharge was April 30,1903. 

The original attestation was for Royal Artillery London.  Looks like he was Gunner initially 7th Battalion or Brigade (hard to read). Then Scottish Div - Bomber I think.  Long record.  He served in India for many years and Burma.  Also was stationed in Ireland.  There is no information on the military record about his father.  Only his spouse and the children (children born India, Burma and Ireland). 

The reference to the next of Kin says, "Brother Joseph (younger) Loughborough Leicester.

The marriage certificate (I have copy) was 29 April 1885 Fort William Calcutta Bengal (marriage to Theresa Collins (sometimes Teresa).  By then he is Sergeant John Hall. Wittnesses are the bride's brother and another.  No clues about John Hall's parents on the marriage certificate but the marriage register index shows John's father as being ''Richard Hall".

Jo, I didn't notice that and would have to look again at that 1881 census of the barracks.  Thanks.

I have looked for John Hall with younger brother Joseph and father Richard with open parameters but no luck thus far.

I'm really encouraged that you both think Derby to be the more likely birth place.  This is my gut feeling also. 

Thanks again both of you for taking a look at this.  I really appreciate your input. 

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 08 December 14 22:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for putting John's service number up, I have finally found his record. ;D A couple of small points I picked up on, he was a labourer on attestation & also at discharge so I'm wondering about the rumour of his father being in manufacturing, I shan't discount it but not take it as read. :) Also on attestation his religion is said to be Wesleyan, now that could have a bearing.  :-\

As John seems to have given false info as to were he was born, although we still don't know for sure, could he also have given false info on his father's name at marriage. I have seen the record on Family Search & also on FIBIS albeit FIBIS only has the bride & groom's names & the date. It's maybe worth looking for the 2 brothers & not with a father Richard as you would expect them to be together in one census at least. :o

I shall keep working on it in the hope that something turns up. :)

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 01:47 GMT (UK) »

When and where did John HALL leave the army please, and from his army record, how is his time at Ventor described.....how long was this posting?.

Offline hallsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 09 December 14 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed Maddie and WivenHoe.

Maddie.  John Hall named his eldest son John Richard Hall (my grandfather 1895-1963), and my grandfather John Richard Hall named his eldest son Richard Hall (my Uncle 1919-), so the name Richard has been continued on, but, anything is possible.  Certainly seems he is blurring his story concerning his birth place. 

We always thought he was John R Hall, but all docs so far have just said John Hall.

Family legend is that John Hall, after leaving the army, ran a public house in England which still stands,  some kind of tavern.  I will see if I can find out if anybody knows a name and where.

He went to Western Australia in 1907, (he and wife and the children) and was listed as Gardener on the shipping record.  The burial index shows his occupation as "soldier", though he was 82 apparently and long out of the army.  I know he had a small orchard himself where they lived here (which was typical for the area at the time).

Something else is that my grandmother always referred to my grandfather (John's son John Richard Hall 1895 - 1963) when she was angry with him as "The Hun" which was an unusual name to give a man who had fought in WW1. The story is that she alluded to him having German or Austrian roots from his father's side.   My father and his siblings thought this to be true but no  proof of this has been found and it may be nothing.

One of my Uncles who is himself now 95 remembers him (John Hall 1857-1939) so he cannot have had a foreign accent or my Uncle would know it for sure. 

Wivenhoe, thank you for looking at this also.    The Attestment Date is Feb 5 1879 signed at London.  Says on it "Joined at Portsmouth".  In what Parish and in or near what Town and in what County were you born?  "St Clements, London, Middlesex".

The original service number was 3496 which changes to 24977 later on.  Though two service numbers it does all seems to match up timeline wise and there are references to his wife and children and India so it has got to be his record.  His discharge was April 30,1903. 

At discharge he was at Fort Rowner Gosport.  The address he gave as intended residence was 7 Dorset Terrace, Tesswood Road, Millbrook Southampton CLR.

His army service history reads as follows :-

1.2.1879 to 30.6.1881 : Gunner, 7th Brigade, Royal Artillery.

1.7.1881 to 14.9.1881 : Gunner, 7th Brigade ..... now becomes.. 1st Brigade, Scottish Division.

15.9.1881                  : Promoted - Acting Bombardier

15.5.1882                  : Bombardier.

14.9.1883                  : Promoted to Corporal

15.9.1883                  : Commenced service in India.

14.8.1884                  : Promoted to Sergeant. Plus Good conduct pay @ 2 pence.

19.10.1886                : Promoted to Battalion Staff Sergeant and Good conduct pay @ 3 pence.

14.6.1889                  : Reverted to Sergeant at his own request. Then with 28 Batallion, Southern

Division.

13.5.1891                  : Service in India finished.

1.8.1891                    : Transferred to Waterford Artillery Division.

6.1.1892                    : Transferred to Tipperary Artillery.  Ireland.

7.1.1892                    : Promoted to Company Sergeant Major.

3.6.1894                    : Transferred to 2nd Hampshire Volunteer Artillery

30.4.1903                  : Discharged as a Company Sergeant Major. Place of discharge was Fort

Rowner,                                             Gosport.

Character reference on discharge papers - Conduct, Exemplary. Sober, Steady, Trustworthy and thoroughly reliable. 

The other thing I have is an entry for Claims to Pension submitted to Chelsea Board.  He retired to pension after 24 years 89 days army service. Pension number 41587.

That's it really.

Thank you again for looking at this.  I really appreciate the assistance. 

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you again for all the added info, any morsel of extra clues is very welcome as something is just not adding up here. :D Each time I think I may have found someone it turns out to be a red herring. ;) The reference to your Grandmother calling your Grandfather "The Hun" has got me intrigued, there must be something in it. I have found in my own research that snippets passed down through the family have often turned out to have some bearing even if they sound ridiculous when first heard. :)

Hall doesn't sound very German or Austrian but the name could well have been Anglicised, is that why we can't find any of the family.. ::)

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline hallsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 14:47 GMT (UK) »
I have requested his death cert which I should have shortly but doubtful
It will have anything on his parents going by the index but we shall see.  I tried to view his gravestone but the cemetery has cleared it away
As part of their "renewal" program here.  V disappointing.  The burial record though does say born derby. Thanks again.  I also have been down dozens of red herrings.  He is a mystery.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Fingers crossed the death cert has some info to help with your mystery man. :)

Isn't it annoying when cemetery's clear away head stones, they do it here in UK too. Apparently the ground where my 3rd Grt Grandfather was buried had been cleared years ago for a car park. :o

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline hallsearch

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 December 14 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Sure is.  Here in Austraia, such a huge place, so much available land, no excuse to be tampering with history by ''renewing'' graves. 

Thought I would just share with you that I have received the death certificate for John Hall.  82 years at date of death.  August 24, 1939. 
Place of birth - "Derby"
Father's name "John Hall" (Not Richard! - His burial record and his marriage certificate say the father is Richard.) 
Father's occupation "Manufacturer"
Mother's name "Unknown".
:(
So I will have to look instead for a father "John Hall", Manufacturer in Derby, just in case.
Disappointing that there is no mother's name, but not surprising as clearly there is a sad story here of some kind.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 December 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thank you for the death cert info, oh no, more confusion. :o Well at least Derby does sound to be confirmed as John's place of birth. ???

There are an awful lot of John Hall's in Derby with son's John although most do seem to be coal miners. I wonder if his father was actually named John Richard hence the use of both names. :-\

More digging to be done. :)

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire