Author Topic: The Fallen of Newmains / Cambusnethan / Morningside / Chapel / Torbush  (Read 12775 times)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: The Fallen of Newmains / Cambusnethan / Morningside / Chapel / Torbush
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 October 14 18:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I am compiling this book in conjunction with Joe

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 October 14 22:46 BST (UK) »
I assume he doesn't have these soldiers in any of his books.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 October 14 10:53 BST (UK) »
I'm not clear what you are saying about Brawley? The one who went to Canada was in the Royal Field Artillery.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 October 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
It is not unusual for them to switch batts, I have his medal index card and there is no mention of him being KIA. A friend has his Service Record which is on Ancestry and gives his home address as Newmains

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 October 14 14:07 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I'm still confused. The first name you listed was Patrick Brawley, Connaught Rangers. Then you said he wasn't killed but went to Canada. I've looked at the Cambusnethan Roll of Honour. It lists two Patrick Brawleys. The one listed as in the Connaught Rangers is shown as "killed or died"in the remarks column. The second Patrick Brawley is listed as RFA. The remarks column for him is blank. This second Brawley is the one who emigrated to Canada after the war.  So doesn't that mean you are still looking for Patrick Brawley, Connaught Rangers?

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 October 14 15:12 BST (UK) »
Think my earlier comment got lost  :-\

Are you researching all the names on the memorials or have just listed a few that you are stuck with?

2nd Lieut. Gilbert McClelland Kennedy of Cambusnethan was killed in action 15 June 1915. He was born in Aghadowey and I collected material on the family when doing research on our local memorial.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 October 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I'm still confused. The first name you listed was Patrick Brawley, Connaught Rangers. Then you said he wasn't killed but went to Canada. I've looked at the Cambusnethan Roll of Honour. It lists two Patrick Brawleys. The one listed as in the Connaught Rangers is shown as "killed or died"in the remarks column. The second Patrick Brawley is listed as RFA. The remarks column for him is blank. This second Brawley is the one who emigrated to Canada after the war.  So doesn't that mean you are still looking for Patrick Brawley, Connaught Rangers?

Imber

In the book I have, in the Newmains part -

Brawley Daniel - 12, Store Row RFA
  Brawley Hugh - 3, Main St HLI
  Brawley James - 3, Main Street RND (Royal Naval Division)
  Brawley Patrick - 3, Main Street RFA
  Brawley James - 12, Brown Street, DG
*Patrick Brawley - 12, Manse Road Con Rangers
Matthew Brawley - 7, Barries Stables, Con Rangers

I have the medal index card of Patrick Brawley 12, Manse Road, Connaught Rangers and there is no mention of him being killed in action, yet he has an asterix denoting he was killed in action.  I have searched Commonwealth War Graves, Scottish War Graves and and also the Naval Press cd that names some 750, 000 of those who fell, yet I can find no sign of him.  I asked a lady on Rootschat to look for his service record, and she told me she had found the record and also his emigration papers.  I take it you can prove differently?

Regards

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 October 14 21:41 BST (UK) »
Think my earlier comment got lost  :-\

Are you researching all the names on the memorials or have just listed a few that you are stuck with?

2nd Lieut. Gilbert McClelland Kennedy of Cambusnethan was killed in action 15 June 1915. He was born in  and I collected material on the family when doing research on our local memorial.

Aghadowey

I don't have his name in the Roll of Honour Book under Cambusnethan, Newmains or Morningside.  Can you send me further details and I'll have him included.

Thanks,

Swally

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 October 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
The 1901 census has a Patrick Brawley aged 16 living at 12 Brown Street and no James who could have fought in the war