Author Topic: Joseph Watson born Aberdeen 1809  (Read 14880 times)

Offline sheeptaurus

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Watson born Aberdeen 1809
« on: Tuesday 04 March 14 21:00 GMT (UK) »
 My great great great grandfather was Joseph Watson believed from Woodside Aberdeen. He moved to London and in the censuses 1841 - 1891 consistently gave his age as 10 years less than the year ie 1851 age 41 etc.  and birthplace Aberdeen. Have not been able to find his baptism in 1809 or 1810 in Aberdeenshire.

Now I have found his will which gives tantalising clues but they have not helped me either. After legacies to his grandchildren he left these:

"to Janet Aikin of Woodside Aberdeen granddaughter of Mrs Robbie £300

to my half brother James Christie of No 2 New Wynde Montrose £100

he also left his grandfathers clock to his 4th son George Thomas Watson".

I found Janet Aiken born 1872 Aberdeen, daughter of Janet maiden name Robbie of 235 Baron St Aberdeen born 1831. Janet was daughter of Alexander Robbie and Janet Robbie maiden name Watson.  Alexander and Janet married Nov 1829 Old Machar. Janet Robbie died 1891 aged 80 - I found a birth 1811 daughter of Thomas Watson general labourer and Janet Watson maiden name Watson. So I guess the named Mrs Robbie was my Joseph`s sister????

James Christie is on every census in Montrose  born 1820 Aberdeen. (Sadly he died a few months before Joseph so did not live to receive this legacy) His son reported his death and did not know the mother`s name (Really disappointing) so left it blank - father George Christie. I have found a John Christie married to Elspet nee Watson. She died Nov 1869 age 85 father Robert Watson a tailor, mother Margaret nee Chlamers, brother Alexander Watson 30 Forbes St Old Aberdeen.??????????

Still all I need is the birth of Joseph Watson 1809/10 and James Christie 1819/20.

Help please

Offline sheeptaurus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Watson born Aberdeen 1809
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Sorry just double checked my notes I did not find a birth for Janet Robbie nee Watson. According to her death certificate her daughter said she was the daughter of Thomas Watson and Janet Watson nee Watson. Have not found this marriage or a birth.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 00:23 GMT (UK) »
When did Joseph Watson die?

When did James Christie die? Who was his wife and when did they marry?

What were the given names of Joseph Watson's children? Who was his wife and what were the names of his wife's parents?

What were the given names of James Christie's children? what were the names of his wife's parents?

What is the relevance of John Christie and Elspet Watson? (The index at Scotland's People lists 50 marriages of a male Christie to a female Watson, so the apparently matching surnames could just be a concidence.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Is this James with family (wife Helen Scott?) in 1851:

James Christie 31 Power Loom Stearcher (linen) b. Morde, Aberdeenshire
Helen Christie 34 b. Glasgow
Helen Christie 8
Christina Christie 4
James Christie 1
James Scott 16 brother in law
Alexander Stewart 20 cousin b. Montrose

Address: 9 Reform St, Montrose

Birth place for James is from transcript (Morde, Aberdeenshire). Have you looked at the original to see what Morde is supposed to be? Might help when trying to find his details.

Also for background, Joseph Watson (I think!) in 1861 here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M7G7-R3P and in 1871 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/VRJ7-5P9

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Birth place for James is from transcript (Morde, Aberdeenshire).

Village of Maud, Parish of New Deer, County of Aberdeen

1881 census is unhelpful but compatible - it just says James was born in 'Aberdeen, Scotland', which I take to mean 'County of Aberdeen' rather than specifically the city of Aberdeen, which would be transcribed as 'Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Scotland'.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sheeptaurus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your interest Forfarian.

Joseph Watson died 8 Oct 1896 age 86 London.
Wife Mary Ann Steel married St Pancras 1835. She was born Richmond, London. Parents probably George Steel and Elizabeth Walker.
Children:
 Walter Walker Watson 1836-1904
Joseph Watson  1838-1922
William Watson1843-1925
Jess MacDonald Watson female 1848-1932
Elizabeth Watson 1849 - 1924
George Thomas Watson 1852-1926

James Christie died 6th Jan 1896 age 76.
Wife Helen Leath born Glasgow c.1817 died before 1891 census.
Children:
Helen 1842
Christina 1846
James 1848
Margaret 1853
Joseph 1856

Father James and daughters Helen and Margaret found on MI in Rosehill Cemetery, Angus.

I think that is all that I`ve got.

You are right there is no reason to mention John Christie marrying Elspet Watson - it was the only Watson female  marrying a Christie that  I found. I think I am looking for a Janet Watson marrying a George Christie though I am a little doubtful as to whether the son Joseph Christie knew his grandfather`s name correctly as he did not know his grandmother`s at all. He gave George Christie`s occupation as store keeper. Did not manage to find George Christie on the census- though it gets a little difficult with so little to go on and Scotlands People don`t help with birthplaces. I assumed he was born and lived in Aberdeen as James Christie was born there, but he may have left by the censuses or died and I didn`t find that either.

Thanks for your interest

Just read Monica`s post - thanks for your help I dson`t know why I`d not found that it is the same family - The death cert for James Christie said widower of Helen Leath will check this out many thanks

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 11:04 GMT (UK) »
I assumed he was born and lived in Aberdeen as James Christie was born there

As you will see from my post above, I don't think you should be looking in Aberdeen. I think you should be looking in New Deer.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 14:36 GMT (UK) »
sheeptaurus, the son Joseph that you have for Helen and James Christie is I think this entry here https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYTN-R9K One further son that I can see is this one in 1858 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYTN-LW5

One comment on trying to look for marriages for James' parents. I wouldn't expect Joseph Watson's mother to show under the surname of Watson (unless Joseph's birth was illigitimate). In Scotland for this period, widows married under their maiden names. 

Not seeing the name George coming up on James and Helen's list of children so far....would keep an open mind for now as to whether son Joseph got it a 100% correct on the name of James' father being George, just in case of errors creeping in. What occupation was given for father George on James Christie's death cert?  Sorry you have added this already that he showed as a store keeper.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 March 14 14:55 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the list of children for Joseph and Mary Ann (Steel) Watson, there were a few more I think? Maybe died young?

Joseph Watson died 8 Oct 1896 age 86 London.
Wife Mary Ann Steel married St Pancras 1835. She was born Richmond, London. Parents probably George Steel and Elizabeth Walker.
Children:
Walter Walker Watson 1836-1904
Joseph Watson  1838-1922
William Watson1843-1925
Jess MacDonald Watson female 1848-1932
Elizabeth Watson 1849 - 1924
George Thomas Watson 1852-1926

George Watson - 2 Mar 1840 at St Pancras Old St Pancras
Mary Ann Watson - 27 Dec 1841 at St Pancras Old St Pancras
Jessey Watson (born first, name re-used) - 21 Apr 1846 at St Pancras

Jessie MacDonald seems a relevant name to Joseph Watson you would think...

Monica