Author Topic: Ilsington - Setter, Beer and possible Denley connections  (Read 3852 times)

Offline Discoveringmypast

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ilsington - Setter, Beer and possible Denley connections
« on: Thursday 17 April 14 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone shed a bit of light on the families I'm researching please?

I've been researching the Setter ancestors from Crediton in Devon (the various spellings of Setter have made it a challenge!).

Having gone as far as I can (I think) with this main branch of his family, I've now started looking at his grandmother's line, Annie Laura Jane Beer from Ilsington, born 1868.

The research into this Beer family has shown that 2 generations back, Annie's grandmother was Jane Setter born 1821 in Ilsington.  They appear to be a separate 'Setter' line to the Crediton ones.

I've managed to discover that Jane's parents were Joseph Setter and Elizabeth (Emmett) and Joseph's parents were Samuel Setter and Jane Denley.  I think I've reached a dead end with Samuel, he would have been born about 1750, probably in Ilsington, and I've been unable to trace his baptism which may have given his parents.

However I believe I've found Jane Denley's baptism in Ilsington, 5th July 1754 and her parents were Andrew and Jane.

Has anyone researched any of these families from Ilsington?  I'm not local to Devon so I have to rely on online research and wondered if anyone had visited the area for their family history and could confirm what I've found is correct or had found out any additional information.

Thanks you in advance for any help and advice.

Kind regards
Sue

Offline clearhillsestate

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Ilsington - Setter, Beer and possible Denley connections
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 June 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I am fairly certain that this is my family.  My gg grandmother Eva May Beer born abt 1881.   Her parents were Samuel Beer born abt 1851 & mother Mary Ellen Tuck.  Samuel's parents William Beer born abt 1816 & Jane Setter abt 1821. 

I don't have an Annie Laura Jane in the family so assume her father must be one of Samuel brothers.

Samuel and Mary Ellen's children were Eva May, Violet Hilda, Samuel,
Rosa, Ellen, Ethel M, Blanche E, Hilda (x3), Elizabeth, Myrtle & Ella.  At some point they went to Sth Africa and then on to Australia, where I am.  I don't have the exact dates at hand but around 1910 to Aust.

Family lore says that the Beers were originally from Germany.  I have not found anything to support this and I know that Beer is a village in Devon and a common name there. I pass it along because it may one day be the thought in the back or you mind that uncovers the next clue. 

Are we related?  I would love to hear back from you.

I have just had a poke around on the net and came across the names of Andrew DUNLY & Jane PATRICK as being the parents of Jane Denley.

Warm regards

Jennifer

Offline marksetters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 November 14 10:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sue
I am at the end of that line of Setters from Samuel.
They do seem to be a separate line from others in Devon.
I also cannot find anymore info on Samuel which is both interesting and frustrating.
Is this where the Setters lines broke apart?
If you want the family tree it is on ancestry going back to jane denlys parents
If you have anymore snippets let me know
Mark

Offline Discoveringmypast

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 November 14 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Mark, thanks making contact.

Can you let me know what's the name of your tree on Ancestry please?

Regards
Sue

Offline marksetters

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 November 14 19:14 GMT (UK) »
Sure
Setters Family Tree

Mark