Author Topic: Missing persons report John Loveband  (Read 2794 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing persons report John Loveband
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 02 July 14 23:39 BST (UK) »
Interesting that folks in England have still not figured out he is dead by 1908. Might be worth looking to see if there is anything significant going on in the lives of the Thorne family in late 1907 that could have triggered this second advert.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 03 July 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Intriguing isn't it.  "important information" I wonder if he had been left something in a will?

Sorry if I've missed something but how do we know it was Mary Jane Thorne who put in the report? 
It doesn't say who to contact on the one above.  Have you got a copy of the first report?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 03 July 14 09:46 BST (UK) »
Mary Jane looks to be on her own as head of family in 1901/1911 but still married.

Husband Frederick in 1901 patient in Exminster Devon county lunatic asylum  :(
He's 46 in 1901, this could be his death Dec 1911 St.Thomas age 56. 
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 03 July 14 11:08 BST (UK) »
John Courtney Loveband appears to have been in court probably underlying drink problem see http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/70809596?searchTerm=john%20loveband&searchLimits=
 John Courtney Loveband, presented on three charges of obtaining goods on false pretences on tie 16th June, [1886] to all of which he pleaded " guilty "
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 03 July 14 11:11 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
Thanks for all the lovely replies.It does sound intriguing doesn't it?What was that thing in 1908 that he needed to know?
John Loveband is your traditional cad and bounder.The second son he seems to have been sent of to the colonies where he gets into lots of mischief.The passenger list for 1853 just gives him and his wife and as far as I know he didn't leave any children behind.
He and Mary then have 4 children in Australia -Thomas William 1855-1936,Harriet Florence 1857-78,Blanche Mary 1860-65 and John 1862-3.
He is then continuously in trouble with the law ,horse stealing,horse cruelty,dud cheques,fraud.A real scoundrel and a miscreant.
His family minor gentry had a mansion called the Parsonage at Bishops Nympton and were farmers.They obviously went a down in the world with older son Mathew Richard ending up as bank manager in Merthyr Tydfil.They obviously haven't kept in touch and are glad to be rid of him.
I can't find his mother's death but father Thomas dies a widower in 1871 so it's not a inhertance from them in 1908.
His younger brother Frederick does die in 1908 but not until December,the notice is the 26th February and it does mention this woman Mary Jane Thorne.Strangely it is in the NSW Police Gazette and he is living in Victoria,although in Jail in Sydney in 1877.
He does die 9.5.1890 at Geelong,Victoria.
http://interactive.ancestrylibrary.com/1942/31842_216750-00591/848071?backurl=http%3a%2f%2fsearch.ancestrylibrary.com%2fcgi-bin%2fsse.dll%3fnew%3d1%26gsfn%3djohn%26gsln%3dloveband%26rank%3d1%26gss%3dangs-c%26msbdy%3d1830%26pcat%3d36%26h%3d848071%26recoff%3d12%2b13%26db%3dNSWGazettes%26indiv%3d1%26ml_rpos%3d2&ssrc=&backlabel=ReturnRecord
I've included the link but not sure if it can be accessed without a subscription.
Perhaps I should do a bit more delving into Mary Perryman but it really does look mysterious.
Ciderdrinker

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 03 July 14 11:42 BST (UK) »
I can't find his mother's death but father Thomas dies a widower in 1871 so it's not a inhertance from them in 1908.

Could be this one in Mar 1869 South Molton.
Harriet Loveband age 66.  Age fits with being 58 in 1861.

Pick - Frocester Glos

Online ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 03 July 14 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for that
Harriet had been really annoying me.