Author Topic: Laurence Allen  (Read 2158 times)

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Laurence Allen
« on: Monday 02 June 14 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi I have been trying to trace any info on my grandfather and his family. I have not got much to go on and no one can give me any further info. His name was Laurence Allen born around 1924 possibly in Ireland, Londonderry and straban have been mentioned. He married Annie Coyle and lived in Airdrie before moving to Glasgow when they separated. Unfortunately he was murdered in Govan in August 1966. I know that his mother Lucy Allen lived in Glasgow with her sister Margaret. He also had a sister called Margaret McCreadie who lived in easterhouse. This is all I have to go on and don't know how to proceed. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Campbell, Coyle,, Nicolson MacDonald, Allen. Macintosh, Gallaher,

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Laurence Allen
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 June 14 22:26 BST (UK) »
Assuming that he married in Scotland, I would look in www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for his marriage certificate. You won't be able to download it as it will be less than 75 years ago, but you can order a copy online, or you could ask if anyone who is going to the Scotland's People Centre would be willing to look it up and transcribe it for you.

That should tell you the names of his parents (including his mother's maiden surname).

You can then go to the GRONI web site, where you should be able to find his birth, if he was born in Northern Ireland, and possibly also his parents' marriage. Again, you'll probably have to send away for the birth certificate as he was born less than 100 years ago, but you might be able to go straight for his parents' marriage if you have their names from his marriage certificate.

See http://britishgenes.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/groni-launches-online-civil-records.html for advice and background.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 14:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. He was married in Airdrie, I sent away for his death certificate although I no now that his marriage cert would have given me more info. There was no father recorded on death cert and it gave his mums name as Lucy Allen...not sure then if this was her maiden name..maybe didn't marry.
Thanks for your help..i will have to send of for marriage cert.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 20:36 BST (UK) »
Ah. If it just says 'Lucy Allen' I think you can take it she was unmarried, or at least whoever registered the death believed she was unmarried. If she had been married the certificate should have said so.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 21:34 BST (UK) »
Hi both  :)

A Lucy Allen, b. 1890, died in Glasgow in 1977. This would help you confirm her line and also her marital status (I haven't viewed the search results on SP, a further surname may show there).

chan01, you are in that tricky period where certs are too recent to view as full images online, therefore they have to be ordered or viewed in person at one of the main genealogy centres in Scotland (not sure where you live). For guidance, this is a summary on availability of images etc on SP www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/Help/index.aspx?r=554&413

Added: This must be the newspaper story/pg.1 http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC&dat=19660825&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

Your grandfather Laurence married Annie Coyle or Campbell in 1943?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 June 14 22:02 BST (UK) »
There was a Lucy Allen born in Londonderry in 1890 to a Thomas and Harriet. This is her with her parents at 1901:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/011sm/

Only 3 other 'Lucy Allen' entries aged 10yrs (+/- 5yrs) in 1901 Census - 2 of them in County Down and 1 in County Armagh, so if you think your Allen chap had links with Londonderry, then the Lucy on the census link is certainly one to consider.

Here she is in 1911 too:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/011sn/

I see from the Glasgow Herald newspaper article on Laurence's death that he seems to have been Roman Catholic, so was the Lucy I have linked to above.

Interestingly, there was a Laurence Allen born 1886 died 1898 in Londonderry, who seems to have also had a mother called Harriet and father called Thomas. Lucy's mum, Harriet, a widow by 1901, notes in the 1911 census that some of her children have died. A Thomas Allen born 1858 died in Londonderry in 1896.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline chan01

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 June 14 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for the help
monical...I have the newspaper articles and yes he married Annie Campbell(my gran). I am in Scotland and will prob have to get his marrage cert.

scotmum...wow I think this is her..I know she had a sister called Mary (they both lived together in Glasgow) thanks again don't think I would have found this as been trying for ages.
now to try and follow this up..wish me luck

thanks again folks.
jackie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 June 14 14:14 BST (UK) »
Jackie, if you are near one of the genealogy centres such as those in Edinburgh and Glasgow (they have opened another one, trying to remember where  :P) you could for the cost of a day's ticket (around £15) spend the whole day looking at more modern certs online that you cannot view or download currently due to being too recent.

You could also check with your local registrar what sort of service they may offer. Not for getting printed certs, but just access to more recent details through them. I have never done this but understand that you may be able to book a session with a Registrar for a set amount of time/cost per hour. Not sure if this is offered by all Registrars.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 05 June 14 14:26 BST (UK) »
one of the genealogy centres such as those in Edinburgh and Glasgow (they have opened another one, trying to remember where)

Inverness.

In fact the official opening is on 17 June, but it may be possible to use it even now.