Author Topic: 295th Siege Battery, RGA WW1  (Read 4983 times)

Offline ifsimo

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 295th Siege Battery, RGA WW1
« Reply #9 on: Friday 27 June 14 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike
Thanks for the response with loads of new information for me and my father.
I Live in Sussex little village called Horam
Unfortunately we have no photo's of John Bruce Sim (known as Jack according to my dad)
we don't have very much information at all regarding him we never bothered to ask my grandad / dads father regarding this but my grandad was 4 when he died so probably wouldn't be able to help much a wonderful thing hindsight maybe i should have done.
My father has given me a little bit more information regarding him
He is buried at Reninghelst New Military Cemetery which my father has visited once but wants to return soon.
The new information is RGA/182b ... Not sure what this refers to?
If you have any photo's would love to see them as my dad says great grandad was a spit of his dad so we might be able to spot him.

Offline mikecharles49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 June 14 09:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ian.   I don't know what RGA 182b refers to, though RGA will be Royal Garrison Artillery.
Email me at ********** with your address and I will get you copy photos done at a local shop that does me colour laser photocopies and  post to you.  Mike.

MOD COMMENT: Email address removed as per rootschat anti-spam policy.

Offline ifsimo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 June 14 17:55 BST (UK) »
hi mike

i have emailed you

Iain

Offline Harmanator

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 07 September 19 09:19 BST (UK) »
Hi there my name is wayne.

I am the great grandson of. 141801 BDR Arthur Willey who was killed on the 10th Oct 1917 while serving with the 295th  under the 2nd Anzacs,I believe he was killed during  or just after the Battle of Poelcapelle,and I know he is interred at the Huts cemetery in Belgium,he was 28 years old at the time of his passing.
I do have a photograph Im waiting on from family but any other information about Arthur would be greatly appreciated as we don't have an awful lot of information.
My son is serving in the forces  and is going to Belgium shortly to the Huts cemetery to look for Arthur

Offline mikecharles49

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 07 September 19 15:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks Wayne, great to hear from you.  My email address is (This may be removed by the site Moderator for security reasons).  I now have a wealth of info on 295SB and willing to share info and the photos that I have.  Not sure if Arthur Willey's army records exist, but he has intrigued me as I lived in York for 9 years and know The Mount area where he lived.  I live in north Leeds currently.  You may know that he was killed the same day as colleagues Tyson & Gatland, all buried side by side.  Tyson was hit by a shell and killed instantly (as they always say!) so it could be that all three were killed together.  I hope Arthur is on the photos that I have & would be glad to see yours eventually. Look forward to hearing from you further.  I prefer to post things, so will need your address too.   Kind regards, Mike.

Offline Harmanator

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 September 19 02:05 BST (UK) »
Hi there Mike
I've taken note of your  email and ,I'd be happy to share with you family history etc,I believe my mother has a couple of pictures of her grandfather Arthur,the family lived in the same house that was Arthur and Hannah Willeys until 1979 and we moved when my mother remarried and I was Age 11-12 my grandfather continued to live at the property until his health deteriorated in 1982 when the house was sold.
I have a family picture  of Arthur and Hannah and their 3 children,I will try to attach that image to my email and will be in touch via email with my contact details etc as I'm currently living in Northallerton,and I know my mother would be interested in any info about her grandfather,I don't have his military record but I will check with family to see what they do have and be i n touch shortly.
Best wishes
Wayne.