Author Topic: Advice for researching National Archives medal rolls  (Read 2481 times)

Offline ariedl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for researching National Archives medal rolls
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 21:37 BST (UK) »
Someone on the Great War Forum may already have the rolls photographed maybe a query on there....or wait till the Release of N+P disc goes to one of the providers like Ancestry will be cheaper than £50

Ady

Thanks so much for the suggestion! I forgot that I had created an account on the GWF last year, so I just posted over there. Fingers crossed that someone there can help!

Offline ariedl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Advice for researching National Archives medal rolls
« Reply #10 on: Friday 01 August 14 13:36 BST (UK) »
I was able to get a copy of my grandfather's medal roll ledger entry very cheaply through the National Archives site, but alas, there wasn't much information on it! I am posting part of it, though, to see if someone with more experience might be able to help.

In the first column in the "Theatres of war in which served" section of the form, I'm at a loss as to the meaning of the notations. After researching a bit, it seems that the people filling out these forms weren't always consistent, and some would enter dates, while others used abbreviations, etc. On the page I have, it looks like every entry starts with an "O", followed by some other letters. I found someone online who posited that the "O" stood for "overseas", indicating that soldier was eligible for a certain medal. The letters after the "O" could stand for a location or be the initials of whomever verified the information.

Could someone out there who knows more about the medal rolls please explain how this area of the form was used? I'm not really looking for anyone to decipher the notations, just to explain how it worked.

Thanks!