Author Topic: Arthur Grant Jones - Llanberis  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Arthur Grant Jones - Llanberis
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 23 May 13 17:10 BST (UK) »
Emyr,

Thank you - it seems that he was not a particularly nice person - a bankrupt, a bigamist and a fraudster.

Annie Mary was probably better off without him - i wonder what she made of a weekly payment being received from him in New South Wales!

Alan

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hi,
In May 1929 he was charged on warrant of obtaining the sum of £80 by false pretences. Committed for trial at Woollongong Sessions.
February 1930:
A warrant for the arrest of Arthur Grant Jones, charged for disobeying a magisterial order for the support of his wife (£75.5s due). Age 43 5'-9"  -  5'-10" high, medium build, dark complexion, clean shaven; usually dressed in a dark grey suit and a grey felt hat; a native of Wales, and speaks with a noticeable Welsh accent; a mining engineer.

Electoral lists show him at Newington, Marrickvale, N.S.W., mining engineer, in 1930;
Burnie, Emu bay, Darwin, Tasmania, engineer in 1943;
Melbourne Ports, Victoria, engineer in 1949.

There is a death of an Arthur Grant Jones, age 70 (a little bit out), at Sunbury, Victoria in 1970.

There is a lengthy report of his bankruptcy hearing, in Welsh, in Yr Herald Cymraeg, 08/07/1924, page 8. He says that his problems arose due to a decrease in the price of shoes, which caused a 30% drop in the value of his stock. It appears that he had overstocked because it was too easy to get credit because the reps were finding it difficult to get orders. It also refers to compensation he'd received for an injury whilst working in a coalmine.
Emyr

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 13 June 13 08:03 BST (UK) »
Emyr,

Thank you for all your hard work and detailed information.

The story has come full circle and I am grateful for all your input.

Kind regards

Alan

Offline Silyn

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 07 April 14 14:33 BST (UK) »
Alan,
Equally interested.
Found any more?
I have some info on the family.

Offline Tall Al

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 07 April 14 17:39 BST (UK) »

Hi Silyn,

I see this is your first post - welcome to Rootschat - I hope you find it of interest.

I haven't found out any more currently.

My relationship is via Arthur's wife - Annie Mary (nee Thomas) who remained in Wales - I believe they may have had 3 children but I only have details of one that I mentioned earlier in the post - can you provide more information?

Please bear in mind if the person you are to mention is still living then details are not allowed to be publicly shown.

After making 3 posts you should be able to use the personal message system if you wish to exchange information such as e-mail contacts etc.

Kind regards

Alan