Author Topic: SPERMAN in Burwell  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SPERMAN in Burwell
« on: Sunday 09 March 14 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out about Elizabeth SPERMAN and if there were actually two ladies of that name in Burwell around 1600 or alternatively if one of the usual websites has made an error in transcribing. 

One of my direct line ancestors Godfrey TAYLOR was baptised there 4/9/1608, father Thomes, no mother's name.  I found a marriage in Burwell of Thomas Tailor to Elizabeth SPERMAN 3/6/1603.  Whilst looking elsewhere to verify it I found Elizabeth Sperman marrying Wm SMYTHE in Burwell 18/4/1613.  Oh no!!  I suppose that it could be a widowed mother and her daughter of the same name but I really have no idea.

I am hoping that someone with access to records can clarify for me please and also find out whether Godfrey had any siblings baptised there. 

Thanks for looking.

NC.

Offline ReadyDale

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SPERMAN in Burwell
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 March 14 19:01 GMT (UK) »
There is only one baptism for an Elizabeth Sperman (and any similar spellings) in Burwell - 21/5/1670 - so too late to be of any help. Must be either a different parish, non-confirmist or not recorded.
As for siblings, as you say, there is no mother shown for Godfrey (so no secod check point), but there are three other baptisms for an offspring of a Thomas Taylor (various spellings) for that timeframe - Thomas (22/3/1611), Alice (7//4/1616) and Elizabeth (1/3/1617).
FYI for the same timeframe (1608 +/-10years) there are two other THOMAS fathers having children - Walter (5 children) and Peter (1)

Offline Nottschick

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: SPERMAN in Burwell
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 March 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help.  I can see that it's a bit of a nightmare so I will have to dig around further with your information in mind.  I had thought that with a first name of Godfrey - reasonably unusual - that finding his parents would be easy, but the ancestors always have surprises for us. 

NC.