Author Topic: Combe St Nicholas Parish records  (Read 3149 times)

Offline Rainbow Quartz

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Combe St Nicholas Parish records
« on: Saturday 10 May 14 20:37 BST (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know whether the Combe St Nicholas Parish records have been transcribed? The reason I'm asking is that I have recently received some new information about my family, but there are a few dates missing, and some of the information is just from Census returns, so I would really like confirmation on the BMDs. The period I'm interested in is from 1800 to 1865.
Thanks
Mand
Jewell - Devon, Cornwall and Manchester
North - Somerset, Devon, Dorset, Cardiff and Warrington
Rowe - Devon, Dorset
Oliver - Somerset

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Rainbow Quartz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Combe St Nicholas Parish records
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 11 May 14 22:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links. The records are there - problem is that I live 200 miles away, so I was hoping that they may have been transcribed and be available on line. Oh well, one day I might get down there, or I'm sure that they will eventually be available on line. I've plenty more research to be getting on with in the meantime, so I'll just park this particular branch for now!
Cheers
Mand
Rowe - Devon, Dorset
Oliver - Somerset

Offline shirl100

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 18:00 BST (UK) »
Hi there

You could start a new topic and ask for a look up if someone is visiting the records office. There are marriages on www.freereg.org.uk but only up to 1812.

Shirl
North,Noble,Harrison,Seller - North Riding Yorks parishes
Brown,Brooks,Watson - Belper/Duffield Derbys
Hole - Ashover Derbys
Webb, Flavell, Mason - Staffs (mainly Sedgley)
Bevan,Beamond - Chirbury Shropshire
Longridge - Northumberland/Durham
Freeman - Hampshire, Oxfordshire,Sussex
Smith - Derbyshire and Yorkshire
Whitehead - Yorkshire
Morris - St Pancras Yorkshire etc

Offline DRH123

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 02:23 BST (UK) »
The records are there - problem is that I live 200 miles away, so I was hoping that they may have been transcribed and be available on line. Oh well, one day I might get down there, or I'm sure that they will eventually be available on line.

You can buy microfiches of the registers from the Somerset Heritage Centre. About £2.60 per fiche, but with a £13 handling charge per order. Can be up to 7 or 8 fiches per register, but for a  village usually only 2 or 3. There's probably a reader at a nearby public library.

Somerset FreeREG will surely get to the registers you want eventually.  The main limiting factor on our rate of progress is the availability of source material, which in turn depends on our funds. We are an entirely voluntary organisation but very few transcribers live near the SHC so in most cases we have to buy the microfiches.   If you would like to transcribe the registers yourself or would lend the microfiches to FreeREG for transcription you can buy them through us which cuts out the handling charge. We can scan them into digital files which can be viewed on your computer.

Anyone interested in making a donation should contact the Somerset Coordinator, Diana Rogers. Her e-mail address can be found at the top of the Somerset page:

http://www.freereg.org.uk/parishes/som/frontpage.shtml

David

Offline Rainbow Quartz

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 May 14 14:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info. I only have a couple of dates to check at the moment, so will ask if anyone can do a look-up for me first. I'll certainly think about getting the fiches though, as I have a lot of ancestors who lived across quite a few Parishes, and I have plenty more research to do on these. More than happy to lend the fiches to FreeREG for transcription.
Cheers
Mand
Rowe - Devon, Dorset
Oliver - Somerset