Author Topic: Kyle's Tullynahinnion Portglenone Co Antrim  (Read 14962 times)

Offline wildwind

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kyle's Tullynahinnion Portglenone Co Antrim
« Reply #18 on: Monday 15 October 12 22:14 BST (UK) »
Your right on my doorstep and my family with your James McKeown Tullynahinnion. 
I'll have a go with my elders although it is a little vague maybe for them.
Am I correct in assuming you are in NZ.   
kyle, coulter, Jim Bristow. . Tullynahinnion, Finkiltagh, O'sullivan Forthill

Offline ddanddm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 15 October 12 23:11 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes I am in New Zealand, I would really appreciate if you could make inquiries.
I am really hoping the family I found in the 1901/1911 census is my James McKeown (who had married Sarah Houston in 1845.)  I probably will have to find out who the mother of the two (or three) daughters (Mary A born about 1861 and Nancy and/or Agnes born ab out 1869) in the census's to confirm, or find James death certificate.
I have just found this morning an entry in Family Search website of a John McKeown (b 1858)whose parents were James McKeown and Sarah "Houstim" and John was born in Northern Island but went to New York USA and it's his second marriage that is recorded on that site. (first marriage was when he was 23 and I presume still in Ireland)

Offline wildwind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 15 October 12 23:15 BST (UK) »
What year did he go to the US?? Was he lets say older!!

Offline ddanddm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 15 October 12 23:21 BST (UK) »
John McKeown when in 1898 and remarried in New York in 1906.
My David left New Zealand when he was 21 around 1878.
Would be amazing if there was a connection between my confirmed McKeown's (being James and Sarah and their son David) to your McKeowns.
I do think it looks hopeful that John may be David's brother though.

Offline ddanddm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 08:07 BST (UK) »

Offline wildwind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 21:38 GMT (UK) »
After much help on here and info from around the world I have most of the info in connection with the family or at least the lines directly to our current Kyle descendants as we know it from Tullynahinnion/Ballymacombs.
To the moderators thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow at times.  I may need your help in the future and if there is anything dubious in this posting please tell me and I'll try and word it different or remove a bit if required.
This is a good web site and free to boot.  There is a lot of good folks on here and if I can I will help where appropriate. 

I would like more info on what I would term the " sideways" ancestor's and some distant cousins.

Here goes.

It would appear that the descendants of Joe and Mary "Vance" Kyle who made their way from Ballymacombs to Tullynahinnion have little potential connection with the many Co Antrim Kyle families from around the Portglenone Co Antrim area.  This came as a little of a surprise but would be in agreement with handed down family history.

There may however or at least be more of a chance of a connection to other Kyle families from Co Derry/Co Londonderry descent.

I am aware of the families connection to Lima Wisconsin USA and thankful to some there who have sent me family information.  As a matter of fact there are more of the family there than here.

I am leaving this thread open in the hope that someone will eventually read it and add a little.

Information that interest's me is Joe and Marys grandchildren born to John Kyle's 3rd wife Sophia McMullan and recorded in Portglenone.
Ann(e) Jane b1876 Still present in Tullynahinnion on the 1901 census ??
Mary b1878 ??
Lena b1880 ??
I believe through having met various potential relatives over the years that one of these sisters may have descendants around the Crumlin area.
It didnt make any sense at the time of meetings but we were not aware of these three daughters untill recently. 

I am aware John's Kyle's son James to Margaret McKeown is very likely to be the James Kyle mentioned in "Ballymeanagh town of the rough terrain".

John's son David to Margaret Mckeown went to NZ

John's daughter Margaret Elizabeth to Margaret Mckeown I would welcome info on. ??

I would welcome info on the McKeown family from around Aghagash/Deerpark Farms, Slemish area's who attended Glenarm pres church late 1800s early 1900s. ??

I would welcome info on the McMullan family from around Carnalbanagh/Aghagash/Slemish area late 1800s early 1900s who are likely to have attended or had a connection to Ballymena, Wellington St Pres church. ??

Information no matter how controversial on the families Kyle, Vance, Galloway, Dickson etc being in or arriving in Ballymacombs prior to siblings Joseph, William, John and Margaret (married James Galloway) would be welcome.  PM me on this first rather than causing any potential confusion by posting it.

I also might be interested in following up the initial attempts started by the Kyle society on the genetics project for the family name. 
This would probably be best done thought the society although the society could maybe need a little help or encouragement.
Please pm me on this as this involves us folks still above ground and this forum is not for discussing those of us still above ground. 
I have spoke to local folks who take a doubtful view of the US version of Kyle history but it makes as much sense than almost every Ulster/Scots family here being thrown out of Scotland for stealing cattle or whatever which is very doubtful indeed.

Anyhow thanks in advance for any future information or leads. 
Please feel welcome to PM me on much of the above or add a post if you are fairly sure information is correct.

Cheers and have a happy and prosperous 2013.

Offline Joanba

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 02:33 BST (UK) »
Re: Kyles Tullynahinion Antrim
This is my family. It seems to me that we all have little bits of info and some interesting anecdotes which have come down through the family. I have found Earl Godfrey invaluable with his info about the early family who went to Whitewater.   The one thing that I can definitely say is that it was James Kyle and not his brother David who came to New Zealand.   I was always told that David went to New York where he was either murdered or committed suicide.  He may have patented a bottle opener, possibly with his brother Thomas!    James came to NZ early 1890s and married Mamie Carmilla de Rosa in 1896.  They were my grandparents.  I also wonder if we are missing a generation. FamilySearch has a son Joseph born to Joseph Kyle and Lavina Harris in 1809 and possibly marrying yet another Mary Vance in 1829. This  couple could possibly have been the parents of John Kyle (1828-1903) and his siblings. However the info was submitted by a patron and may be quite unreliable.  Happy to contact any  relatives off-line.

Offline wildwind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 June 13 09:29 BST (UK) »
Hi,  We meet again,
Your info on James and David certanily has got to be correct and I'll amend appropriately
I'll pm you just now.

Offline wildwind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 10 June 13 06:47 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
I cant see any any Joseph Kyle marrying a Lavina Harris.
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place or perhaps not using the site to its full potential so if you could send me the link I would really like to check it out.
I would love to get a generation earlier as like lots of families here many of the records were destroyed and/or lost.

My previous reference to a James Kyle from the writings Ballymeanagh a town by the rough terrain is obviously wrong as you quote our James as being your Grandfather and I aggree to that being correct having gone to NZ.

Your reference James brothers David and Thomas having done to the US is almost certainly correct including the reference to bottles although we had it as being a bottle washing patent.  However that is of little importance unless or until descendants turn up. 

Thanks in advance

The writings in Ballymeanagh etc quote a James Kyle as having left his home in Tullynahinnion and walked to Ballymena. 
We have only two James Kyle's in our family having been born in Tullynahinnion both of which are now accounted for although only one of these actually fitted the correct time frame anyhow.
Having various connections to Tullynahinnion we have no information of another appropriate Kyle family being in Tullynahinnion at that time for a James Kyle to have walked from his home in Tullynahinnion.
If anyone reading this can fill us in on this I would welcome further information on that James Kyle or that Kyle family.