Author Topic: Ranken Family  (Read 3860 times)

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Ranken Family
« on: Sunday 24 November 13 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Although I have done a lot of research in England and Wales this is my first foray into Irish records and I am feeling rather lost!

I am researching Alicia Ranken and her father Charles.  Alicia married Evan Thomas in 1807 at St Mary Abbotts Kensington.  She was the daughter of Charles Ranken and Mary Grant who married on 20 January 1787 at Walcot, Bath. 

On the 1851 census Alicia is shown as born in Ireland, on the 1861 in County Down Ireland and on the 1871 census her place of birth is shown as Bala Na Faugh Ireland. 

In an old family tree Alicia’s date of birth is given as 20 December 1787.  Census records and her age at death indicate that 1787 is about right.

I have recently had access to some transcripts of old family letters which indicate that Alicia’s father Charles lived at Richmond Lodge near Belfast, had a brother John, had to flee Ireland in about 1798 and had been a member of The East India Company. There are some accounts online that mention Charles Ranken as Captain of Cavalry in the Belfast Yeomanry, and that he lived at Richmond Lodge.

Putting all this together would I be right in thinking that the place I should be looking for is the township of Ballynafeigh in the parish of Derrykeighan?  Can anyone suggest routes for research given that the early Cof I parish registers do not seem to have survived? 

Any help and advice will be much appreciated.

Barbara
Joy, Larkin, Twort, Baker, Whibley - Brenchley and Horsmonden area Kent
Fewell and Speller - Essex and London
Headington and Bateman - London
Feltwell - Norfolk and London
Lewin - India and NZ
Evan-Thomas - Wales and London
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ranken Family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 November 13 12:16 GMT (UK) »
If the place of birth was shown as Co Down, I’d be inclined to search for townlands in that county. 2 might fit. There are 2 Ballynafoy townlands, one in Annaclone parish and the other in Knockbreda (just outside Belfast).

You also should look to see what PRONI have for the family. I found this for example, by searching under Richmond Lodge:

D509/857
1 October 1793
Description :    Deed of Reconveyance (unsigned) of Charles Ranken, Richmond Lodge, Co. Down to Rev. George Macartney Portis, Belfast relating to Galwally, Co. Down.

A Harriet Burgh seems to have been living there by the early 1800s and some of her letters survive eg in holding D207/73.

Galwally is in the parish of Knockbreda, so that may be the general area the family came from.

The PRONI documents are not on-line and so a personal visit would probably be required to view them all. Richmond Lodge got 123 matches on the PRONI site.

http://applications.proni.gov.uk/LL_DCAL_PRONI_ECATNI/ResultDetails.aspx
Elwyn

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 November 13 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Elwyn, I will have another look at PRONI to see what they might hold and look at Co. Down.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 November 13 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Charles Ranken, Holywood- of Richmond Lodge in 1799; Captain of Cavalry in Belfast.
and
Charles Ranken, Esq., Knockbreda- of Tullycarnet; sale of 29 acre farm 27 Jun 1796.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/R/Ra.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 November 13 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey.

I will check PRONI for references to Tullycarnet.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 November 13 19:13 GMT (UK) »
I can only offer a reference to one ranken family tree, in the Blackwood Family History manuscript trees Collection in the LinenHall library, Belfast. however as is more likely you may live abroad I suggest you ask them for photocopying estimates only if they think your knowledge relevant and be prepared to pay the extra for post and packing if you are tempted.  “The Library welcomes all research enquiries, whether made in person, by phone, fax, letter or e-mail. Enquiries from members will be answered free of charge. Visitors from afar, and in particular those engaged in serious research projects, are recommended to make prior contact with the Library to ensure that they receive the best possible service. More complex enquiries should be made by letter, fax, or e-mail. Enquiries of this kind from within the British Isles will normally be answered free of charge, apart from any copying and postage charges. A minimum charge of £2 will normally be made in respect of overseas enquiries. A4 photocopies b&w are 20p.  The Library may be able to assist those with more extensive research requirements on terms subject to negotiation with the Librarian. Contact the Library for further information on info@linenhall.com or Telephone 028 9032 1707. Their address is The Linen Hall Library,17 Donegall Square North, Belfast BT15GB, Northern Ireland, see their website for contact details or use Email:info@linenhall.com.
The volume references for RANKEN is 21, however I noticed another sound version
RANKING   62 which has a connection to an Anketell line
➢   Hoping this is includes new information for you
➢   good luck, Jim
ps However if the material is really relevant when you get it, I suggest a further donation to this unique library that is always needing extra funds.
pps I attended Richmond lodge kindergarten in 1939.
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Online Barbara F

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 November 13 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jim

Thank you for that information.  I hadn't heard of the Linen Hall Library and it sounds a wonderful resource.

I shall take a good look at their website.

Barbara
Lewin - India and NZ
Purser and Cook - Hunts

Offline romneycoddy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 March 14 22:22 GMT (UK) »

Hello Barbara
I have researched my side of the Ranken family including my ancestor Charles Ranken (born Antrim around 1750 died 1802 in London) for several years  -how can I help? Please get in touch. Last year in 2013 we went to Antrim, Aghadowey  on a search for family info
We have much information but by no means all
The big unsolved mystery is when did the family come from Ayrsire Scotland to Dunboe in Coleraine where Charles ' grandafther was vicar- John Ranken of Dunboe. We guess they came around 1680.
There is much on Ancestry

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 March 14 08:50 GMT (UK) »
hi Barbara and Romneycoddy.  I have been puzzled by your Derrykeighan civil parish reference not being followed up as it is in Co Antrim,  so maybe you have done earlier messages

There are Rankin buried in Derrykeighan and in Ballymoney old churchyard

Going back to 1796  William Rankin is a weaver in Derrykeighan  see Bill Macafee’s http://www.billmacafee.com/1796flaxgrowerslist/1796flaxgrowersantrim.pdf
Flaxgrowers' List for the Parishes in North Antrim, 1796
[Sorted by Surname, Barony and Parish]
Record No. Surname [Standardised] Surname as spelt in source Forename Barony Parish No. of SpinningWheels
704 Rankin Rankin William Dunluce Lower Derrykeighan 1

over 60 years later there is still Rankin living in the parish see Griffiths Valuation Record in http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
Tenant
Family Name 1   RANKIN
Forename 1   JOHN
County   ANTRIM
Barony   DUNLUCE, LOWER
Union   BALLYMONEY
Parish   DERRYKEIGHAN
Townland   DERVOCK
Place Name   MILL ROW
Town   DERVOCK
Printing Date   1861

perhaps all known to you both but just in case good luck onwards JimG