Author Topic: Gasstown  (Read 7908 times)

Offline woodlea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gasstown
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Must have been a hard life. James went on to marry again & have another son. He lived to the ripe old age of 96yrs.

Offline csc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • granny and grandad cursiter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 25 March 09 20:20 GMT (UK) »
 i dont think sarahs grandparents have been exactly poor    she married in st marys church  her bridesmaid is her cousin willhelmina born 1852 that is not a poor persons wedding  1861 census janet 71 grandmother no grandfather agnes 41 daughter thomas 21 son of agnes john13 son of agnes willhelmina9 granddaughter thomas mcnoe male about 1860       1871  janet 81 agnes 51 born gibralter willhelmina 19 thomas 11 grandson john s stundell grandson 2 margaret beattie 21 servant    in the 1841 there is also an elizabeth 18 born ireland   i have also found a william mcnoe born dumfries age 21 enlisting in the u s army in 1844 says he has grey brown eyes and is5ft 7ins  this family is well travelled csc
DUMFRIES. KERR,DICKSON,BELL,HETHERINGTON,HILL
CUMBERLAND, CHARLTON,YOUNG,SPARKS,HEWITT,IRELAND. 
ORKNEY,CURSITER,DREVER,PEACE,COOPER,    
FAIR ISLE, MALCOLMSON,LESLIE.

Offline Joycie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 06 July 14 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I'm new to Rootschat and I've just come across this thread with the very unusual surname of McNoe. I think we are related. The grandparents of Janet Turner- William McNoe and Janet in Gasstown- this William was born in New Abbey in 1792 on 6th March. His parents were a William McNoe (born 1758 New Abbey. Occupation- Weaver) and Janet Maxwell. We're related through this William's brother, Irving McNoe (born 1761 New Abbey) who is my 5xgreat grandfather.

Now, I have done a bit of searching of the McNoes in New Abbey and beyond, simply because it's such an unusual surname and there aren't many of them about. William McNoe, born 1792, intrigued me so I looked into him. In the Old Parish Records on Scotlands People, there is a marriage for William McNoe soldier in the 26th Regiment of Foot, Edinburgh and Janet Shand, 5th June 1815.

So William's career as a soldier explains the different birthplaces of his children. William, born in New Abbey, was discharged from the army in 1829 aged 39. His discharge papers also confirmed he served in 26th Foot Regiment and had served from 1807 to 1829. William and family returned to Dumfries and he continued his job as a tailor (just like my Irving McNoe). Hope this is useful.

Thanks

Joycie

Offline Joycie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 06 July 14 18:37 BST (UK) »
I've just seen you've mentioned finding a William McNoe enlisting in the US Army in 1844. Yes, it's one of our McNoes! William enlisted in Kentucky for five years but deserted in 1846. His brother Irving McNoe (born 1827 Dumfries) also enlisted in the US Army on 9th February 1852 in Kentucky but was discharged on 29th March.

Their parents were John McNoe (born 1792 in New Abbey) and Agnes Smith (born 1801 in Dumfries-shire). This John's parents were Irving McNoe (my 5x great-grandfather) and Jean Graham.

It all takes a bit of working out!

Thanks

Joycie