Author Topic: Robert and Debora Turner of Turnerstead Shilbottle  (Read 11641 times)

Offline DTfamily

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert and Debora Turner of Turnerstead Shilbottle
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 27 August 11 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Warren

Was interested in your post regarding Robert & Deborah Turner. He was my Gx7Grandfather and I have also been unable to find out anything before his marriage to Deborah.

According to my records however he died in Lurgan in 1654 which would mean that he is not the Robert who headed to Penn.

David

Offline madelinesangston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 May 12 02:19 BST (UK) »
hi mr warren
 my grandmother was born in boone co mo the daughter of Squire s Turner  and  martha ann Martin
from the time we were little they would tell that thomas TURNER WAS BORN IN IRELAND THAT HE WAS
A SCOTCH IRISH  SHE SAID THAT WHAT THAY TOLD THEMWHEN THY WERE SMALL SINCE I RETIRED
IN 1994 MY SON IN LAW FIX UP ONE OF HIS OLD CIOPUTER FOR ME ALL  I KNOW A BOUT THE COMPUTER HOW TO TURN IT ON AND GOTO START ALL I  DO IS READ ABOUT THE TURNER  HAVE YOU
READ THE HISTORY ABOUT SPRING HILL FARM  THOMAS tURNERWAS BORN 1662/1664IN IRELAND IT HAS HIS WILL IT GO ON TO TELL ABOUT ROBERT IN DEBORAH IT ON ROOT WEB WRITTEN BY  RESEARCH OF wILL Johnson copright2007 if you cannot getit i willbe glad to send it to you  i belive this Robert  is thomas turner that married Susannah  because the names run like his  i get early but have to take a brake this old body is to old to stay long  as i said i retired in 1994 at the age 72 i hope to fine the right father for him before i cant make it to computer   
                                                                             madeline   

Offline whturner

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 25 May 12 05:48 BST (UK) »
Hi  madeline:
 I have checked the reference you recommended - I have seen most of it in researching my line of Turners. My line also starts with a Thomas Turner - born in Ireland, but we have not been able to get back "across the pond" with him. DNA evidence shows he is a different Thomas than your line.

I have not confirmed or refuted a possibility that either of our Thomas's is the son of Thomas, son of Robert and Deborah of Northumberland, but that is work in progress.

As a note, it seems increasingly likely that the reference to Shilbottle is confused. Turnerstead is located in the ancient parish of Brinkburn (sometimes spelled Brenkburn) and although the specific Robert we are discussing has not been found, there is ample evidence that this Turner family was fairly prominent for a lot of years.

Cheers
Warren
Turner (Scot Irish)

Offline madelinesangston

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 25 May 12 09:34 BST (UK) »
hi warren
thank you  my is thomas turner born 1662/1664died 1748 in fredrick va he maried susannah anthony their children  anthony turner born 1683 john turner born 1685 robert turner 1687
roger turner 1689 sarah turner 1691 ann turner 1693   my then go wiith  john turner and sarah
williams  ,then  thomas turner and catherine smith ,JAMES TURNER  AND jEmima WELLS AND thomas TURNER AND elizabeth NEWLAND   AND squire SAMUEL turner  and Martha ann MARTIN
I AM WORKING  ON ALL THEIR CHILDREN NOW  THANK FOR YOUR WORK
                                                                                   MADELINE

Offline whturner

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 21 March 14 02:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Warren

Was interested in your post regarding Robert & Deborah Turner. He was my Gx7Grandfather and I have also been unable to find out anything before his marriage to Deborah.

According to my records however he died in Lurgan in 1654 which would mean that he is not the Robert who headed to Penn.

David

Hi David:
Have been working on the issue at hand. Have not found Robert but the Turner Family of Turnerstead has apparently been around since ancient times and there are plenty of them in the records. They were well connected enough to to vote in elections of Knights of the Shire -
"1722, Robert Turner of Rothbury Forest voted for Turnerstead and Robert Bulman of Morpeth for Todstead, and again in 1748 Lancelot Turner of Dents -hole voted for lands (Turnerstead) in Brinkburn."

"At the period of the dissolution of the monasteries (Brinkburn 1536) the  prior and convent held a tenement and appurtenances in Weldon-dike, let to the widow of Thomas Bell, as tenant
at will, at the vearlv rent of 6s. 8d.- The messuage called Weldon-hall in the parish of Felton
 and the land belonging to it, then or theretofore in the occupation of Thomas Lisle, of the clear yearly value of 26s. 8d., a messuage in the occupation of Richard Turner ...... "

The oldest reference I found was "Amongst the many landowners in Framlington who gave lands to
the prior and convent of Brinkburn were, Scirgtha, widow of Galfrid Turner,''   I have not been able to date it, but it might be as early as the 1200 - 1300 period.

Also -  Although I don't have the Robert death data you have, I have researched the Pennsylvania Robert and he can't be the the Turnerstead Robert.
Turner (Scot Irish)