Author Topic: Brick Wall - IN 1891!!  (Read 5381 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Wall - IN 1891!!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 03 March 14 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hmmm... seems Unice's parents were Walter & Eliza ???

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J3BP-2NL
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 03 March 14 12:33 GMT (UK) »
Bearing in mind what I've discovered and reading the posts that have been made while I did this this is my opinion of the scenario:

Hannah Downey, mother of Beatrix, was not married at all, and was the dau. of James and Sarah as has been listed already.   Her mother was formerly Sarah Harrison.

The name Smyrke is so distinctive that it is not something you would make up and give to your child and there is indeed just one Benjamin Smyrke who was an accountant and married with a family.

Hannah Downey has some kind of 'relationship' with said Benjamin Smyrke and then falls pregnant.   She moves from family home and sets herself up as Hannah Downey - married.   When her dau. is born she gives her the surname of her father, lists him as Benjamin Downey, but gives him the occupation of her own father.   She goes on to give her own maiden name as Harrison which is in fact her mothers maiden name.

She clearly wanted to give her daughter some connection to her natural father - hence second name of Smyrke - and equally wanted her to appear to have been born in wedlock and not illegitimately as she actually was.

I don't think Emmie/Eunice was Beatrix - she was born South Shields whereas Beatrix born Newcastle.

'Respectability' had a lot to answer for in those days.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 03 March 14 12:56 GMT (UK) »
Annette, that theory does indeed sound very plausible.

Benjamin appears variously as Smirk, Smark, Smyrke.

Baptism as Benjamin Smirk, 1849: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NT91-JM9

Marriage as Ben Smyrke, 1878: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/NXGL-ZR6

He dies as Benjamin Smyrke-Wyat in the City of London, Mar qtr 1925 aged 75.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 03 March 14 12:57 GMT (UK) »
That all seems very plausible, Annette  :)

The Hannah, 4 mths on the 1871, would fit well!

A good story - my grandad and his sister  (same time period) used similar cover ups  on their marriage certs as they were illegitimate.

But where was Beatrix/ice in the meantime?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 03 March 14 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Benjamin Smyrke of Sunderland made it into the papers a few times.

In 1895 he was sued for mismanagement of trust property of which he was a trustee.  He made a payment to settle the proceedings.

In 1898 he was the subject of bankruptcy proceedings.  Arising out these proceedings there was a skirmish over certain furniture and art which had been used to furnish a house at 47 Pembridge Villas, Bayswater which was occupied by Benjamin's mistress, one Maxton Young Porteous aka Mrs Smyrke ("a tall, attractive-looking young woman").  She said he had given her the £3,500 which had been spent on these items so that they were her property and could not be seized for the benefit of Benjamin's creditors.  Benjamin gave evidence to the same effect.

This argument was unsuccessful and judgment was given in favour of the defendant Mr Tooth, a fine art dealer who presumably had not been paid for the artworks. 

Miss Porteous also had to give up to the Receiver three shares in an African mining company (the African Territories Company, later reconstituted as the African Land and Investment Company) which Benjamin had given her.  It appears Benjamin had given up his accountancy practice in order to become a "company promoter", with corporate interests in British Columbia as well as in Africa.

The reports describe Benjamin as married, but living apart from his wife.

Later, Benjamin and Maxton appear to have continued their relationship.  They appear together as "married", visiting in Edmonton in 1901.  Maxton died as Maxton Y. Smyrke in Paddington in 1919, aged 59.

Offline Knight-Sunderland

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 March 14 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Wow... talk about a lot to take in!

First of all thank you to everyone who has taken the time to respond it really means a lot. I hadn't seen those two census records for Hannah Downey 1891-1901, thank you for locating those. Very weird that there is no Beatrix with her in 1901!

My grandad remembers a Eunice having some relation, so it seems Beatrix remained in contact with her throughout her life. Then we have the confusion with Hannah Harrison, a proper mystery. Annette, thank you very much for taking the time to compose your theory! A lot of what you say fits in with the evidence and what my family say about Beatrix (very secretive about her family, never talked about them), your theory would explain this. Your theory also explains why there is no sign of James Downey anywhere, because as you suggest, he may not exist! Benjamin Smyrke is also clearly capable of being responsible for such an act given his record!

The only way of proving whether this is the case would presumably be some form of DNA test with a descendant of Benjamin Smyrke - a possibility!

I'm currently on a break from work so don't have much time to do any research, but will report back tonight after reviewing everything - very exciting times!

This is what's great about Rootschat, after grappling with a problem for almost 6 years, several solutions present themselves in under 24 hours!

Thank you to everyone once again!

Jack

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 03 March 14 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Eunice: if the "Unice" baptism/Unice Campbell Harrison birth is the right one (parents Walter & Eliza) then it may be worth looking at the possibility that she was born illegitimately to Hannah's sister Eliza, natural father possibly being a Walter Campbell if a similar naming pattern was followed.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 03 March 14 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Hannah was born Hannah Harrison Downey, Dec qtr 1870 Newcastle upon Tyne.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 03 March 14 15:49 GMT (UK) »
There's something very odd about the fact that Beatrix/Trixie cannot be found in 1901. I'm wondering if she was staying with other relatives of hannah's (married brother/sister, parents' siblings, etc) and took their name - or she could have been boarded out  :-\

I've tried a fair few combinations and minimal info. Her grandparents address at marriage might have been one of convenience for registration purposes .

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***