Author Topic: 1841 census- Abernethy  (Read 17634 times)

Offline katarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1841 census- Abernethy
« on: Saturday 29 January 05 23:04 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have this census to make a lookup or know if it is available at all on the internet yet??

regards

Kat
ROBERTSON- Glasgow, Bathgate, Newburgh, Abdie, Abernethy, St Madoes.<br />MALCOLM/CONSTABLE- Abernethy, Dunning.<br />FORSYTH/COWAN- Glasgow, Cathcart.<br />FOTHERINGHAM/PATON/PITKETHLY-Newburgh, Abernethy.<br />BISSLAND/MILLER- New/East Kilpatrick, Glasgow.<br />BARLOW- Lancashire, Glasgow.<br />MITCHELL/JOHNSTON- Buchanan, New/East Kilpatrick.<br />KILROY- London, MIddx/Balinrobe Mayo <br />KAVANAGH/NORTON-Dublin Eire

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 census- Abernethy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 14 February 05 00:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!

I am pretty sure that this is not on the internet but I can do a look-up for you if you want.

Ish
WADE, WALSHAW, CAFFREY, HALEY, HEALEY, TYAS, CROPPER, REDFORD, MCCOLL, FRASER, FRAZER

Offline katarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 14 February 05 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ish,
               I would be extremely grateful if you could do that look up for me. I have looked and looked to see if Abernethy 1841 is online but no luck.

Im desperate to pinpoint the birth county (and place if at all possible) of my Ancestor Hugh Robertson, a weaver by occupation and living in Abernethy, Perthshire at the time of the 1841 census.  Hugh would be between 70-72 years old and his wife is Mary, she would be 65-66 years old. Hugh died in 1850 so the 1841 census is my only hope of getting past this brick wall re his birth place. Hugh and Mary are my 5x great grandparents.  Also, if you come across James Robertson, aged 33 and John Robertson, aged 31, Both sons of Hugh and Mary,  I would be grateful for the details of them as well, but if you dont see them then not to worry.

when you find Hugh and Mary Robertson could I be a pain and ask for the details of the household? 

Thanks in advance

Kat
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
REPORT THIS POST AS SPAM (Use 'Report to Moderator'). DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS IN THIS POST. DO NOT REPLY TO THIS PERSON.
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
][/color]
ErrorSPAM
][/color]
ROBERTSON- Glasgow, Bathgate, Newburgh, Abdie, Abernethy, St Madoes.<br />MALCOLM/CONSTABLE- Abernethy, Dunning.<br />FORSYTH/COWAN- Glasgow, Cathcart.<br />FOTHERINGHAM/PATON/PITKETHLY-Newburgh, Abernethy.<br />BISSLAND/MILLER- New/East Kilpatrick, Glasgow.<br />BARLOW- Lancashire, Glasgow.<br />MITCHELL/JOHNSTON- Buchanan, New/East Kilpatrick.<br />KILROY- London, MIddx/Balinrobe Mayo <br />KAVANAGH/NORTON-Dublin Eire

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 16 February 05 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I will go and check this for you tomorrow (Thurs).  I hope you are lucky!!  One thing I have noticed is that there are no birth places shown for many local Perth areas on this census so keep your fingers, toes etc crossed.

Ish
WADE, WALSHAW, CAFFREY, HALEY, HEALEY, TYAS, CROPPER, REDFORD, MCCOLL, FRASER, FRAZER

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 February 05 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there!!

Checked the census and good news! :)  I found them in the following household :
Hugh Robertson (70) Hand Loom Weaver
David Robertson (25) Hand Loom Weaver
Mary Robertson (20) Hand Loom Weaver
Mary Mahon (60)

Ages were rounded on the census, hence the slight discrepancies.  There was no given address - just Abernethy (if you know anything about it, you'll realise that even now it's very small!).  They were all marked as 'having been born in the county' and I take by that they mean the county of Perthshire!

I looked right through Abernethy for any others that might be linked but chunks of the census was of really poor quality and almost impossible to make out so I didn't find anything else really.  Robertson, though, wasn't a very common name in Abernethy which might make things easier for you.

You'll notice that the wife appeared to be marked with her maiden name - at least, I'm guessing that's the case as there were quite a few households I noticed like that.  The name seemed to be Mahon but it was not terribly clear.

If I can check anything else for you don't hesitate to get back to me.

Best wishes

Ish

Offline katarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 19 February 05 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Dear Ish,
               I'm sorry for not replying sooner, I couldn't get on to my computer because I have been nursing my son for a few days, but he is ok now thank goodness.

Thank you so very very much for going out of your way and spending time looking up Hugh and his family for me! I'm happy to know that Hugh was born within the county, this does narrow my search for his birth and really does help alot.
I believe that Hugh is buried in Abernethy Churchyard along with his wife Mary, so maybe, just maybe one day I will be able to come up and find the churchyard one day. Im in the South East corner of England so Im hoping to get a holiday and have a look around places like Abernethy and Newburgh which is where the Robertsons went to next ( They went from being Weavers to Quarry owners in Newburgh and Abdie)
By the way, Mary's maiden name was Malcom and I can see how Mahon came about lol.
There is one thing on the census you found that has me thinking though. Hugh, Mary and David I know about, but I never knew that there was another Mary. Did the census state relationship to the head of the household at all in the 1841??? If so, could you tell me what it said for the youngest Mary in the household please? I need to do some more research if she is noted as daughter because I have found records for only one daughter or Hugh and Mary, and she was Janet born in 1805.

Once again, many thanks and bless your heart Ish

Kat

Offline possum_pie

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 22:05 GMT (UK) »
No problem!  Glad I could help!!  It is very difficult getting info when you are far away from your roots.  The census did not show any detail as to the relations of the household members so I just assumed that she was another daughter....

If I can check anything else just ask!! :)

Ish

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 23 February 05 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Kat,

I see from the IGI that John ROBERTSON and Mary MALCOLM were married on 6 Nov 1802 at St Madoes, Perthshire (the other side of the Firth - and where Hugh 1803, Janet 1805, James 1808, and John 1810 were christened).

Have you looked at the film of the OPR of their marriage?  It probably won't have anything more than what shows in the IGI - but you never know!

Judy

Offline katarina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 March 05 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ish,
              Could you do one last favour for me please?? I would be interested to find out what happened to Hugh's wife Mary after he died in 1850, so could you look up the 1851 census for Abernethy for me and find Mary Robertson aged about 76 years old. I know that Mary was alive then because she died in 1855 in Abernethy.
Could you note her birthplace for me please and also details of anyone else in the household with her as well please. I wonder if the younger Mary is still with her in 1851 and if the census states their relationship.

Many many thanks

Kat