Author Topic: George WOOD died Dec 1843 Market Harborough  (Read 15447 times)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: George WOOD died Dec 1843 Market Harborough
« Reply #18 on: Monday 26 May 14 10:10 BST (UK) »
I thought the same re his burial place. This chapel at which he was allegedly buried but which apparently has no graveyard --- There will be information somewhere as to where the worshippers there were usually buried. Have you tried ringing the Lincolnshire records office and asking them? It's a straightforward question, they should be able to tell you which local graveyards were in use at the time.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 26 May 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
I've had a quick look at the papers for 1843 and the beginning of 1844 but I can't see any death notices in Sheffield or Lincolnshire for George.

Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 26 May 14 10:17 BST (UK) »
So - just to fill out the picture a bit more - this was the marriage:

Apr/MAy/Jun 1841
Spalding ref 14 1141 or 14 1041  (3 names on one, one on the other)
George Wood / Charlotte Draper

(thats why I cant see them in 1841! they probably werent married by then!)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 17:58 BST (UK) »
So - just to fill out the picture a bit more - this was the marriage:

Apr/MAy/Jun 1841
Spalding ref 14 1141 or 14 1041  (3 names on one, one on the other)
George Wood / Charlotte Draper

(thats why I cant see them in 1841! they probably werent married by then!)

Hi

They were already married by the 1841 census where they were shown 'visiting' (as Ministers often did) in Surfleet (off the top of my head).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 18:13 BST (UK) »
reply #2

If he died approx 2yrs six months before May 1846 ...... that takes us back to Nov 1843, only a matter of weeks after child born in Spalding, and when he was preaching in Sheffield.
My guess (and that is all we have at the moment, isn't it, lots of guesses as to possible scenarios!) is that they hadn't moved to Sheffield - unlikely to have moved with such a young baby - but that he was just preaching there as a one-off. Who knows?
But - if he didn't die at home (and there is no death reg for Spalding?) he must have died elsewhere.

Looking at the death regs for Ocy/Nov/Dec 1843 for George Woods, have you ruled out -
Oct/Nov/Dec 1843
Sheffield ref 22 341

His work would have been based in Sheffield and surrounding area, but may have also travelled to other areas for visits and 'meets'.

His base address (if they had one) could have been in Lincolnshire or Sheffield.  I expect that wife Charlotte wanted to be 'at home' with her parents for the birth and to help care for their other young child.

Sheffield Register Office checked their death certificates for me for end of 1843, and 1844. They also have and checked the entry under the Ecclesfield Registration District which they hold the records for. Rotherham have also checked.

Should I try and do some sort of table to show you what I have and haven't ruled out?

I applied to Leicester Registry Office today about the Market Harborough death this thread was started about.  When I was looking through the 1851 and 1861 census for the town I was struck by the number of different non-conformist ministers/revs where there, possibly a reason for my George to have been visiting the area.

Offline AngelFish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 22:20 BST (UK) »
I thought the same re his burial place. This chapel at which he was allegedly buried but which apparently has no graveyard --- There will be information somewhere as to where the worshippers there were usually buried. Have you tried ringing the Lincolnshire records office and asking them? It's a straightforward question, they should be able to tell you which local graveyards were in use at the time.

Thank you Annie. I discussed this with the archive staff during one of my visits. I've checked the headstones and burial records and registers of all the nearby cemeteries and church graveyards.

The Methodist records for the period are very patchy and haven't been submitted to Lincolnshire Archives but I located and viewed what does survive. I spoke with the current Methodist Minister for the area and obtained facts about the Chapel and it's location from the old newspapers. I appealed locally for information about the Primitive Methodists and where they would have been buried, I was told where the nearest Methodist burial place is but it is too recent. I know where others from the area were and are still are buried (including other members of the family).
Someone kindly spoke to their elderly father who told them a story of someone being buried in the chapel (or under the alter)! Obviously could be an urban myth. This was before I told anyone of the obituary that mentions interment at the Chapel (because I know how unlikely it was and how mad it sounds, and didn't want to influence anyones memories).

I've been in touch with The University of Manchester Library who have a special collection: The Methodist Archives and Research Centre, also with the Engles ea Brook Chapel and Museum of Primitive Methodism who I was able to share information with.

After the chapel was closed it was briefly a house before being demolished. Later other homes were built nearby and on the land of the chapel (but not on the chapels 'footprint'). I expected there to be records of the change of use of the land, and especially if there were burials on the site now used for housing they'd be records of that even exhumations? so I tried to research the laws and contacted the councils planning. They had no records of this. If there were two unofficial burials and no records made, the council authorities (or anyone) wouldn't even consider the possibility of graves there. I have compared maps.

There are many little chapels built and re-built of many different non-conformist religions in the area. The local people donated the little money they had or land to build the chapels when there became too many of them to fit inside someones home. Larger meetings were conducted in the open air. Earlier chapels were little more than sheds or simple rooms without engraved stones. Many have been lost and not formally recorded, many changed into houses. There could be many different ones in some villages/towns. As I've found information I've reported it to the GENUKI Church Database but there are still many that are not recorded or are known of but dates even locations not always know.

There must be more I can do and haven't thought of yet, but for now searching for a death certificate seems the best option?

I'm happy for any input and suggestions. I WILL find him eventually.  :D

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 22:29 BST (UK) »
What exactly was checked for the Oct/NOv/Dec 1843 Sheffield death? How was it ruled out? Have you got that cert? 
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 22:41 BST (UK) »
Found this about him - would be interesting to see the whole article and see what his connection to the MAnsfield Murder was!

http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/search/results/1840-01-01/1849-12-31?basicsearch=%22%20george%20wood%22%20methodist&phrasesearch=%20george%20wood&somesearch=methodist&exactsearch=false

ooh sorry, bit of a long link. If it doesnt work, it is on the British newspapers site, several papers around Jan 1842 ( I just put George Wood and Methodist into the search )
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 22:58 BST (UK) »

1851 wife is shown as a widow. Donington, Lincolnshire.

He moved around a lot. Ministers were stationed and moved every two years:

I always thought that Donington was in Leicestershire,as Market Harborough is.