Author Topic: The elusive William KNOTT  (Read 6537 times)

Offline SimonK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The elusive William KNOTT
« on: Monday 18 October 10 18:01 BST (UK) »
Hello all.

William KNOTT is my elusive great-great-great-grandfather. All I know of him is from the birth certificates of my great-great-grandfather and his brother, his marriage in what was not his home parish, and a single mention on the 1851 census. His birth, death and whereabouts at the time of the 1841 census are largely a mystery to me.

Frustratingly, William only appears for certain on one census, and so his recorded birthplace of Dover, Kent, and assumed birthdate of 1793, are only known from his self-reported details in 1851, more than half a century later. Knott is a common enough surname in east Kent, and William is probably the most common male name in the first half of the 19th Century. I have found no baptism of a William Knott in Dover in 1793, but there are baptisms of a William Knott in St Mary's parish, Dover on the 8th October 1797, the son of a William and Mary Knott, and again on the 6th May 1798, also the son of a William and Mary Knott. On the outskirts of Dover at Whitfield, a William Knott was baptised on the 8th November 1795, yet again the son of a William and Mary. Our William may well be one of these three births.

William married Caroline Wells on 30th March 1817 at St Margaret's church, Rainham, Kent. The Rainham registers are poorly preserved, but both parties appear to have been previously unmarried, and both declared they were residents of Rainham parish. Although Caroline was illiterate and signed with a cross, William was able to write his own name. The witnesses were William Wells and William Taylor. William Wells was presumably a family member of Caroline's, but William Taylor witnesses several other marriages on the same page, and was probably the parish clerk. It is notable that no member of the Knott family witnessed the marriage, suggesting the possibility that William had moved to the Medway Towns for work, rather than coming as a child with his family.

William and Caroline were in Northfleet, Kent in 1826 for the birth of their son William, and were back in the Medway area by 1836 for the birth of their daughter Jane at Gillingham. I know these from baptisms, but there seem to be other children born before and between, whose baptisms I have not so far found.

On the 1841 census, Caroline is listed with eight children. They are living at the Street, Gillingham. William is not with them. Frustratingly, the 1841 census did not record the relationships between people in a household. The eight children range in age from 2 months to 23 years, and so I think it is possible, perhaps even likely, that the youngest may be grandchildren of William and Caroline.

In 1851 William appears with the family for the first and only time. They are living at 8 Church Street, Gillingham with three children, two of whom were with Caroline in 1841, the other one being my eight year old great-great-grandfather George Knott.

When Caroline appears on the 1861 census at 1 Hillington Square, Gillingham, her given status is 'widow'. But, as you may have guessed, I cannot find a likely death for William, and I cannot find him elsewhere on the 1861 census...

Any thoughts would be most warmly welcomed!

Simon Knott
Kent:
KNOTT, BOWLES, WATERS, HARRALL in and around the Medway Towns

Cambridgeshire:
PAGE, CROSS, WISEMAN, CARTER in Ely
CORNWELL, MORTLOCK, REYNOLDS, ANABLE in and around Cambridge

Essex:
REYNOLDS in and around the Sampfords
HARRALL and variants in and around the Hedinghams

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
Re: The elusive William KNOTT
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 October 10 18:17 BST (UK) »
Is this the William Knott, father William, mother Mary Prebble, baptised 17 May 1795 at St. Marys, Dover that I see on Ancestry family trees?
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SimonK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 October 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Hackstaple - I have no idea, but it might be worth me pursuing - thanks for that.
Kent:

Cambridgeshire:

Essex:

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 October 10 18:28 BST (UK) »
Simon - it is the tree of Lynn Spalding. I cannot see the tree but you can send a message to the tree owner if you subscribe.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 October 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
There is a death registration for a William NOTT in the correct time frame in the Medway district http://freebmd.rootsweb.com

Who were the "children" in the 1841 census?  What was William's occupation?

There is a William 1821 Gillingham, Ann 1834 Gillingham http://www.familysearch.org (select Record Search Pilot) and there may be others if you look further than I did.  Their original baptisms (possibly William senior's burial also) should be found in the online parish registers http://cityark.medway.gov.uk/

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon,
                   There is always the possibility he died in a hospital in a local area outside medway reg District. Here is an example case that might be worth a check . Dartford had a couple of larger hospitals then.

Deaths. Sep 1857. Knott William. Dartford 2a 132.    (Source FreeBMD)

Good Luck  Rog
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline SimonK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 12:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks both.

The main problem, of course, is that there are simply so many William Knotts!

In answer to your questions, like all my ancestors in Kent, William was a labourer, according to the 1851 census. In 1841, there were eight children with Caroline. Mary was 23, Elizabeth was 19, William was 15. John was 12, Fanny was 7, Samuel was 5. James was 2 and Thomas was 2 months old. I have found baptisms for William (Northfleet 1826) and James (Gillingham 1839) as well as for their daughter Jane, baptised 1836 in Gillingham and with mum and dad on the 1851 census.

It is impossible to tell from the 1841 census alone which of these are William and Caroline's children - Thomas is not with them in 1851 and so may have died, but might be Mary or Elizabeth's son. I don't think Samuel is theirs, either, because he is the same age as Jane and is not baptised with her (I have been through the Gillingham baptisms from 1826 to 1851). I think I need to hunt these down in 1851 to see if there are any further clues.

That William Nott is certainly worth pursuing, and thanks for the Dartford death, grandarog. I have not come across one of my ancestors yet who died in a hospital, though!

Simon Knott
Kent:

Cambridgeshire:

Essex:

Offline doverrog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 December 14 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello.
I have a link with the Knot family of Kent.
I wonder if you have any of these?
William Knott died Coldred 1659. William Knott of Coldred, Blacksmith with land at Eythorne.
His wife was Sarah.
They had 5 children I know of-
A girl whose first name I would love to find out as she married William Matson and they had 9 children.
Another connection I have is the marriage of  Elizabeth Matson to John Cullen Knott 22nd April 1813 at East Langdon.
Are they part of your family?
MATSON-East Kent.  HURST- Oxfordshire.