Author Topic: watlington , oxen birth entry ?  (Read 3399 times)

Offline kitman64

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
watlington , oxen birth entry ?
« on: Wednesday 26 March 14 21:29 GMT (UK) »
i have the marraige entry of mary emma Lloyde born c 1848 census entry 1871 says watlington oxfordshire?  she married william bullet oct q in shoreditch london 1869. no sign of her on the 1851 and 61 census. on the 1881 census gives her birth place as scotland cannot find her on the 1891 census i believe seperated from william she appeaars in battersea as a lodger in 1901 and 1911 living with her son william and family. husband william dies in feb 1912, so i presumes still seperated. can someone have a dig around for me as shes a mystery to me

kitman

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: watlington , oxen birth entry ?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 March 14 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Marriage was 28th deb 1868.
She of "full age" and her father George Lloyde, farmer.
both gave same street address

Witness names C March & Jane Cross
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 March 14 12:46 GMT (UK) »
She is Mercy at Elizabeth's baptism, and Merssy at 1881.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 March 14 14:40 GMT (UK) »
There are Lloyds in the Watlington PRs but not Mary and none with father George.

I see FreeBMD has a Mary Lloyd born in the Henley Registration District (which includes Watlington)in June Q 1848. it may be worth sending for the certificate.

I've looked in the Oxfordshire parishes which come under that Reg District for which I have the PRs (Oxfordshire FHS CDs) but so far this is the best I can do:

baptised Nettlebed Nov 18 1849 Mary Ann Lloyd d/o George, labourer & Elizabeth.

The 1881 census find giving her a birthplace of Scotland seems a bit strange. Not much difference!! You really need to try and find her on earlier censuses. Perhaps try looking for her father George?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 March 14 15:53 GMT (UK) »
She is Mercy at Elizabeth's baptism, and Merssy at 1881.

She is Mercy at the baptism of all three of her children.  Bearing that in mind I wonder if she could be this person:

1851 Census Ref: HO107/1725  Folio 597  Schedule 12 - Pyrton Hill, Pyrton, Oxon
Charlotte LOYD   Wife   Mar   24   Dressmaker   born Pyrton, Oxon
George LOYD   Son               5                         born Pyrton, Oxon
Mercy LOYD     Dau               3                         born Pyrton, Oxon

Although Charlotte is stated to be married there is no husband listed with her.

I see FreeBMD has a Mary Lloyd born in the Henley Registration District (which includes Watlington)in June Q 1848. it may be worth sending for the certificate.

I've looked in the Oxfordshire parishes which come under that Reg District for which I have the PRs (Oxfordshire FHS CDs) but so far this is the best I can do:

baptised Nettlebed Nov 18 1849 Mary Ann Lloyd d/o George, labourer & Elizabeth.

I believe that the above Mary Ann must have died because George and Elizabeth have another daughter named Mary Ann later.
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 March 14 16:44 GMT (UK) »
This is all getting a bit foggy!

I found the baptism in Pyrton for Mercy Lloyd Oct 8 1848 d/o William, labourer, and Charlotte of Christmas Common.

Not George!

Could you be following the wrong lady on the censuses?

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline kitman64

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 March 14 17:36 GMT (UK) »
many thanks all for look-ups, i am sure that Elizabeth mary bullet married thomas william nutt dec 10th 1899 in wandsworth, married by banns. her mother mary ann lloyde 'father george' married william bullet his 'father charles' dec 28th 1869 shoreditch. on the 1871 census her mother is mary ann 1881 mercy 1891 merssy although census's give her place of birth in differernt places

i do believe her place of birth watlington oxfordshire is the more accurate .

just found a mary ann lloyd 1851 census born bix oxfordshire, her sister jenar was born wattlington father george.

opinions please

Offline Orpheus

• RootsChat Senior
  • Quartermain arms
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 March 14 19:17 GMT (UK) »
just found a mary ann lloyd 1851 census born bix oxfordshire, her sister jenar was born wattlington father george.

opinions please

The Mary Ann you mention above born in Bix, Oxfordshire, is the daughter of George and Elizabeth LLOYD baptised in Nettlebed on 18 Nov 1849 mentioned yesterday by Jillruss.  The other child in the family is not a sister - his name is actually Jonah which the enumerator mis-spelled as Joner!  This is the family in 1851:

Parish of Bix, Oxfordshire
George LLOYD, age 28, born Nettlebed
Elizabeth LLOYD, age 25, born Lewknor
Jonar LLOYD, age 3, born Watlington
Mary Ann LLOYD, age 1, born Bix
William RICHARDSON, Lodger, age 23, born Nuffield

Although the Mary Ann above looks interesting she cannot be the person you are seeking as she died in either 1854 or 1859.  Jonah died in 1859.  This is the family in 1861:

Crocker End Green, Nettlebed, Oxon
George LLOYD, age 28, born Nettlebed
Elizabeth LLOYD, age 26, born Lewknor
Ellen LLOYD, age 3, born Nettlebed
David LLOYD, age 10 mths, born Nettlebed

No, I haven't made a mistake with George and Elizabeth's ages, although it looks like the enumerator has!  This is the family in 1871, by which time they have moved to Norwood, Middlesex:

Precinct of Norwood, parish of Hayes, Middlesex.  21 Waring Bld?, Brickfield
George LOYD, age 48, born Nettlebed
Elizabeth LOYD, age 46, born Nettlebed
David LOYD, age 10, born Nettlebed
William LOYD, age 5, born Norwood
Eleanor LOYD, age 13, born Nettlebed
Mary Ann LOYD, age 9, born Nettlebed

Note that George and Elizabeth now have another child named Mary Ann indicating that the first must have died.

Looking back to the 1841 census it seems that the above George LLOYD is the only one in the area to have been old enough to produce Mary in 1847/8.  There were two other Georges - one aged 8, the son of William and Mary LLOYD at Russells Water, parish of Swyncombe, and the other aged 10 months, the son of Thomas and Hannah LLOYD at Britwell Salome.  By 1851 the first of these is then aged 19, single, and a servant at Bray, Berkshire, and the second is then age 10, a scholar living with his parents at Britwell Salome.

I'm beginning to wonder whether Mary Emma was illegitimate.  It would not be the first time an illegitimate bride 'fabricated' a father to put on her marriage certificate.  It might also be that she was not born a LLOYD, she just acquired the name through her mother's subsequent marriage.  Just wondering ...
Quartermain and variants - Oxfordshire
Wiggins - Oxfordshire
Lowe - Charney Bassett, Berkshire
Bettle - Bedfordshire and Northamptonshire
Marshall - Bedfordshire and Buckinghamshire
Goodman - Buckinghamshire