Author Topic: British Subject born in Saxony  (Read 778 times)

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
British Subject born in Saxony
« on: Friday 22 May 09 22:59 BST (UK) »
How would I go about trying to find the birth of a British Subject born in Saxony c1833

Thanks

Simon
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: British Subject born in Saxony
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 06:40 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find any birth records of Ferdinand Greiffeld b c 1833, Saxony, Germany.

In the English census of 1861, Ferdinand lists himself as a British Subject,  RG 9 / 1714 / 6 / 5

Any help or advice would be most welcome

Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 09 12:21 BST (UK) »
That depends on whether he was born a British subject, or was claiming to be naturalised.

To be born a British subject overseas, his father would have had to be a British subject. Or, if his father came with him to England and was made a citizen while Ferdinand was still a minor, I think that would also count.

Naturalisation in the early years was not so common, but this explains where records might be found.  I can't find him on the catalogue but perhaps under another spelling of the name?
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=242

There have been several people on this board who have had relatives claiming to be British Subjects where no proof of naturalisation can be found, suggesting that like other bits of census info, some claims to British citizenship on the censuses are rather suspect.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 May 09 11:34 BST (UK) »
Jorose

My apologies for not posting my thanks earlier

I appreciate the explaination given, it is kind of you

Regards

Simon

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 May 09 14:13 BST (UK) »
I don't know whether this is relevant as my German states geography is not good; but from 1714 to 1837 Great Britain and Hanover had the same King. This ceased with the succession of Victoria to the British throne as it was not possible for a woman to succeed as Elector of Hanover. If Saxony was part of this state then someone born in 1833 would indeed be British, and not need Naturalization. If not then I am completely wrong!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)