Author Topic: BUCKLAND of Donyatt  (Read 4959 times)

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BUCKLAND of Donyatt
« Reply #9 on: Monday 02 June 14 02:19 BST (UK) »
I am a direct of William Long.  He was born in Membury, Devon according to the 1851 census.  He was baptized Jan. 29, 1782, son of John and Susanah Long.  I would like to believe that the marriage of John Long to Susanah Hockey in Chardstock on Dec. 12, 1768 was the correct marriage.  However, the Membury parish records state Francis, son of John and Susanah Long, bp. July 14, 1765.  I would appreciate any help regarding this problem.

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 June 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

My partner too is descended from same William Long via his son John; we haven't got a marriage noted down for John and Susannah but may have it written down somewhere from visiting the records office. If it is 1768, then surely Francis could have been born out of wedlock, with his birth becoming legitimised by the marriage of John and Susannah? (There are gravestones at Combe St Nicholas for both John and Susannah and William and Susannah if that is of additional info for you.) If I come across our notes, I'll check to see if we noted anything down for a marriage!
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline KarenRuth2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 June 14 21:46 BST (UK) »
Thank-you for your recent reply.  The Membury parish records at the Devon record office state: "Frances, son of John and Susanna Long bp. July 14, 1765."  If they got married three years later, would the bp. record be recorded as such?
I was unaware that John and Susanna Long were buried at Combe St. Nicholas.  Do you have dates and ages at the time of their burials?
John Long, 75 yrs, was buried Mar. 9, 1804 at Membury, Devon.  I had assumed that he was the John Long, father of William Long.  Obviously, I was wrong.  Thank-you for your information.
There were two John Long's bp. at Membury, Devon about the same time.  John, son of Robert Long, bp. Jan. 10, 1730, Membury, Devon and Jon, son of Simeon Long, bp. Jan. 30, 1730.  I had assumed that John Long, son of Simeon Long, was the John Long buried at Membury.  The John Long, son of Robert Long, must be the John Long buried at Membury.
I believe that the John Long, son of Simeon Long, was married to Susanna based on the following: John and Susanna Long were parents to William Long, bp. 1782.  The third son of William and Susanna (Follett) Long was Simeon Long and William and Susanna (Follett) Long, who had 5 sons, did not name any of them Robert.  I am descended from Simeon Long, bp. Apr. 14, 1816, Combe St. Nicholas, who married Mary Hurford Diment, Apr. 12, 1842 at Combe St. Nicholas.