Author Topic: Looking for an early Devon farm record.  (Read 2711 times)

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Looking for an early Devon farm record.
« on: Wednesday 19 November 14 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I am undertaking a project and want to look into the history of and landscape changes at Colcharton Farm, Near Gulworthy, Tavistock. The earliest map that I have is 1835. The farm is much, much older than this. Does anyone have access to any records that pre-date this please?
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an early Devon farm record.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 November 14 16:48 GMT (UK) »
Do you know the names of the farmers at Colcharton Farm? There may be information in the National Archives, wills etc

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 November 14 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue, I know the farmer personally, he has already researched his ancestry. It is the land that interests me. I am trying to work out how it has changed over the centuries. The earliest maps don't really tell me, the just show that the farm existed. I also do not believe that there was ever a Tithe Map produced for Gulworthy Parish. I just feel that there must be a source of information that I am missing.
Massey (London, Woking, Teignmouth), Massie (Banff, Aberdeen - Scotland) Sullivan, O'Sullivan (Kanturk Ireland, London, Woolwich) Mactaggart (Montrose, Angus, Scotland, Singapore), Thornhill (Surrey), Lyall, Walsh, Linehan, Holland, Langton, Armstrong.

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 November 14 20:49 GMT (UK) »
 "I also do not believe that there was ever a Tithe Map produced for Gulworthy Parish"  That is probably because Gulworthy was not a parish. It came under Tavistock parish- see http://www.foda.org.uk/Tithe/Parish%20Search%20Page.aspx  enter Tavistock as the parish then go to page 2 to see the entry for Gulworthy, no entry there for Colcharton, so you may have to look at the original map & apportionment.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline GuyMassey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 November 14 21:21 GMT (UK) »
"I also do not believe that there was ever a Tithe Map produced for Gulworthy Parish"  That is probably because Gulworthy was not a parish. It came under Tavistock parish- see http://www.foda.org.uk/Tithe/Parish%20Search%20Page.aspx  enter Tavistock as the parish then go to page 2 to see the entry for Gulworthy, no entry there for Colcharton, so you may have to look at the original map & apportionment.

No, you are quite correct. the formation of Gulworthy parish was at about the same time as the Tithe maps were produced in 1840. I contacted the NA and they said they couldn't photocopy them and would charge me £450 each to photograph the two maps that I want. I have since discovered that Devon County Archives have just digitised them and are selling them for just £19 each on disk!  The NA really need to get their act together and get up to speed. lol

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 01 December 14 22:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
The Victoria History of the Counties of England series may have information appertaining to Colcharton Farm and or the Gulworthy area.
Unfortunately it is not yet available online unlike some other counties, however if you are in the Devon area the actual book/s should e available at one or more of the libraries or the records office; alternatively one of the organisations shown on this link may be able to help.

http://www.victoriacountyhistory.ac.uk/counties/devonshire/resources-links
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.