Author Topic: Can anyone find Ann Britton bc1806/7 in the census?  (Read 3489 times)

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone find Ann Britton bc1806/7 in the census?
« on: Monday 19 May 14 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Rootschatters,

Ann (Anne) Britton bc 1806/7 in Wales (according to the 1851 census) was married to Samuel Britton bc1812. Samuel and Ann, nee Rees, were married in 1834 in St George, Bristol. They lived in the Oldland and Bitton areas in Gloucestershire but appear to have links to Bristol. Some of their children were baptised in Bristol.

In the 1841 and 1851 census returns, Samuel, Ann and family were at references: HO107/361 Book 16, Enumeration district 9a Folio 54 Page 9 and HO107/1944 Folio 335 Page 12.

Samuel appears to have died in the 1850s and Ann cannot be found with any certainty in a census after that. There is a possibility of her being a "visitor" with the Hendy family in the 1881, reference: RG11/2446 Folio 38 Page 21. She died in 1897 in Bitton, aged 90. Even that is not 100% certain as there were several people by the name of Ann Britton there then.

Please bear in mind she is not to be confused with the Ann Britton born 1808 in Shepton Mallet who was the widow of Henry Britton.

Her children were: Martha Reese, Benjamin Britton(died 1844) Margaret Britton, Sarah Ann Britton (my gt gt grandmother), and Elizabeth Britton.

Can anyone find her please?

Jo.

Offline allibaker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.n
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone find Ann Britton bc1806/7 in the census?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 18:25 BST (UK) »
have you considered that maybe she remarried after her husbands death?? was she an unmarried mother with her first born child or was she married before?
regards
alli
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.
somerset- quick,baker,stephens,atyeo,rowswell,callow,marks
durham- marshall,fairbairn
worcestershire- stephens,bishop
gloucestershire - stephens
middlesex - chesney

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 22:13 BST (UK) »
That's a good suggestion alli.  I spent ages looking for a death for one of mine, it never occurred to me she could have remarried which indeed she had.

There are a few Ann Britton marriages between 1851-1871 in the Bristol area.  Perhaps we could narrow down a death for Samuel and go from there.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 10:34 BST (UK) »
Hello there,

It is proving very difficult to find the full facts about both Ann Britton, nee Rees and Samuel Britton too.

The 1841 and 1851 census returns show Martha Rees, (Reese in the 1851)daughter, age 9 in 1841 and age 19 in 1851. There is a baptism in Bristol in 1826 for a Martha Rees, daughter of Ann Rees, but the year doesn't tie in with her age in the census.

Ann Rees appears to have been born in c1806/7 but the 1851 census shows her place of birth as "Wales", so we are talking needles and haystacks.

The name of Britton in Bitton and surrounding area, is the same as Jones in Wales (or Rees come to that). The death of Samuel cannot be located with any certainty but they are not on the 1861 census, or a later one as a married couple. I suspect I may have found one daughter, Elizabeth, on later census returns but even that isn't certain as she may have married. Her daughter, my gt gt grandmother, Sarah Ann Britton, has been traced and her details are known right up to her death in 1909. There is no trace of her mother, Ann, having been with her, or any of her family.

There are a number of descendants looking for these and no one can find details so far. Some have attributed the death in 1897 as that of this Ann Britton but I am wary of saying it is in the circumstances.

Brickwall?

Jo.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 May 14 23:06 BST (UK) »
From the 1851 census I read Samuels occupation as Grocer.    Not sure it helps but on 19 Jul 1851 there is an advert in the Bristol Mercury for the investment sale by auction of the dwelling House and Shop along with bakehouse, piggery and other outbuildings and an excellent garden ground behind containing about half an acre.... in the occupation of Samuel Britton, Grocer.   Ad goes on to say it is situated at Whiteshill on the North Side of and adjoining the Turnpike road leading from Bristol to Hanham. Also being sold was the adjoining tenement in the occupation of John Pow

Another ad from 26 Jan 1856 has possibly the same premisies (and several others) up for sale again, by Mr James Roberts deceased.  Shorter description this time but Whites Hill is mentioned again, with Lot 4 'in the occupation of Samuel Britton'.  So looks like he was still alive in 1856 - assuming its the same Samuel

Not sure if there's a connection but in Sept 1854 four properties at Rodney Lane were being auctioned by the mortgagees, and the occupiers included Samuel Pow, Arthur Britton & Ann Gardner. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jo Harding

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 May 14 09:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Jomot. I will look in to this and it may provide the answer to the year of death of Samuel Britton. As you rightly say, he was a grocer in the 1851 census. In the 1841, he was a Miner.

I live some distance from Gloucester, so may enquire about a researcher there who can access the local material.

Jo.