Author Topic: Milburn Confusion  (Read 5968 times)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Milburn Confusion
« on: Wednesday 06 March 13 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I've been poking at this a few times and I'm still baffled  ???

What I know as fact: my ancestor Jane MILBURN was born 1810 and died 1840 in Chirton, North Shields, Northumberland. She married Mark BRADY in 1829 in Tynemouth and had two children Ann 1830 and William 1833. She had a brother called Thomas, born 1813 in Murton Row, Chirton. Their parents were John MILBURN 1779 Newburn - 1853 Seghill and Anne FORREST c1778 - 1835, married 14 May 1808 Tynemouth. There were two further children- James 1815-1834 and Edward 1818-1830. John was living as a widower with Thomas on census until his death.

The confusing bit: On Thomas’ death certificate in 1890, the informant is G Milburn, nephew, High Pit, Cramlington. I know it is the right certificate because the date of death matches the one on Thomas’ gravestone. However, I was not aware of this G Milburn and although I believe I’ve correctly found him on the 1891 census (George MILBURN 1868 Cramlington, living in High Pit with parents) and traced his line back*, I can’t connect him to the family I had for Thomas and his father John. I know that "nephew" didn't necessarily mean "brother/sister's son", given that his wife's death was informed as "nephew" by Jane's grandson... but even allowing for a few generations... At my wits end I'm half-jokingly accusing John Milburn of bigamy... lol

Any thoughts?  ???

~~~

* This is what I think the line is:

George MILBURN 1868 and Elizabeth Jane MARTIN 1871 m. 1 qr 1895
~ William Edward Martin 1896 – 2 qr 1956 (Durham)

Edward MILBURN 1838 and Isabella STOREY 1845 (d. before 1901) m. 2 qr 1865, Tynemouth
~ George 1868, Cramlington
~ Isabella “Bell” Ann 1870 [3 qr 1869] – 2 qr 1883
~ John 1874
~ Martha 1876
~ Edward 1878
~ Margaret Jane 1880
~ Thomas 1882
~ Mark Robinson 1884 – 4 qr 1948

John MILBURN 1809 and Elizabeth TURNBULL 1810 m. 9th June 1833
~ Thomas 1834
~ John 1836
~ Edward 3rd June 1838, Chirton
~ William 1840
~ Jane A? 1842

John’s parents John MILBURN and Mary HORNER? m. 9th Feb 1805, Tynemouth
~ Mary Ann 13 Aug 1806 ch. 10 Sept 1806
~ Eliza 9 Dec 1807 ch. 14 Sept 1808
~ John 1809 ch. 6th Jan 1812, North Shields
~ Eliza 8 Nov 1810 ch. 6 Jan 1812

Then we get to John Milburn and Mary Horner... The children are being christened in Christ Church, Tynemouth, at the same time as John Milburn and Anne Forrest's children... and we hit a snag that they were both called John so that's as far as it seems to go in terms of looking for a common ancestor. To go any further back would probably be impractical anyway... so I'm confused... At first I wondered if John and Anne had a surviving child I didn't know about, but as I say, tracing George I can't find the connection  :-\

Offline ScottMilburn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Milburn Confusion
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 15:15 GMT (UK) »
It appears we are distant relatives. My family traces back to William and John Milburn, as yours apparently does. I would love to connect and see what info you have that I could use to improve my family tree, and I would be happy to share it with you as well.

FYI, my Milburn ancestor chain is Robert (1760) – William (1789) – Frances (Frank) (1823) – William Thomas (1847) – William Auburn (1884) – James Arthur (1916)(my father).

Scott Milburn of Seattle

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 November 13 19:27 GMT (UK) »
I have found since that the line does not go back to John and Mary HORNER as I'd originally got confused about. My Thomas (of John and Anne FOR[R]EST) had an older brother John 1909 who, for some reason, was christened in Chester-le-Street, which is why I didn't find him. The line must belong to this John in order for George to be Thomas's nephew.

At the moment I'm confused how your ancestor chain fits in with mine?

Offline ScottMilburn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 November 13 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I suppose I was confused. My Milburn relatives came from Somerset, but at least my direct ancestor, Andrew, born in Somerset in 1651, moved to the States before his son was born.

Offline durham lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 03 July 14 22:31 BST (UK) »
william edward martin milburn was my grandfather he was married to julia janet wilkes,
he had 2 daughters jeannette (my mother ) irene, and a son called alfred william .
jeannette married david henry reed in 1951 i was born in 1958.

like you i get flumoxed at the amount of milburns that turn up in northumberland.
as an aside the martins  originated from cornwall

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 03 July 14 23:38 BST (UK) »
Well hello there... You are the first Milburn relative I've come across, nice to meet you.

I was flummoxed because of not being able to find the right John, but I've found him now. I assume the Milburns likely came from Ireland at some point, although you never know and I couldn't get back that far (the earliest tentative ancestor I've got is John Snr's parents). How have you managed with the Milburns? Is there anything I can help you with?

(PS You realise that having told me your date of birth and your parents names, I (and anyone else) could now go look up your birth record, right?)

Offline durham lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 23:26 BST (UK) »
 i have only just only really just started the family trace but there is a few ends on the 3 family sides (reed milburn wilkes) that will need a lot of research, its pretty addictive stuff once you get going.
yes i do realise that people can research what i posted but what the hell who cares ::)

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
I've sent you two Private Messages (there was a character limit...). You can't reply though, not until you have three messages on the boards. :)

Offline durham lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 12 July 14 00:54 BST (UK) »
you`ve gotten a lot further than i have   ::) so far ive done to george an elizabeth martin . (as of late time has been a bit of a problem). i have read your pm x2 with great interest, thanks for the info.