Author Topic: Walton-Baptism  (Read 11477 times)

Offline regina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Walton-Baptism
« on: Saturday 05 March 05 11:22 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a baptism record for JAMES WALTON.   According to the 1871 census, he was born in Kilkenny, although other census records put his place of birth as Dublin and Ireland.  His marriage certificate names his father as JAMES, whose profession was a soldier.   I would greatly appreciate any help.
 Reggie
Macclesfield - Potts, Ashness, Hooley, Haslam, Walton, Heapy, Hulme, Wildigg, Walton
Congleton - Cooke
Stockport - Whittingham, Sheppard
Ireland - Walton, Gain

Offline audrey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Walton-Baptism
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 March 05 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Regina
I know this is not the date you gave but as its the only James I thought it might help

James Walton b 17/2/1874 at Donnybrook Dublin
father James Walton
mother Mararet Flynn

audrey

Offline snowman1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 January 06 22:47 GMT (UK) »
Dear Reggie,

I just come across your email regarding James Walton.  I too am interested in that line, though I'm afraid I don't have any further information about James senior.  I'm coming to the conclusion that only James junior may have come to the UK; he appears in the 1861 census.  As you probably know, he married Sarah Ann Rushton (at least I think he did, though the 1861 census gives James's brother-in-law as Saxton). They had a large family. 

Best regards
Richard

Offline regina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 January 06 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply re Waltons.  James definitely married Sarah Ann Rushton, as I have the M.C.   His son, James was my great grandfather, and he married Sarah Jane Hooley.   I would be interested to know where you join the Walton tree!  Best wishes :)
Macclesfield - Potts, Ashness, Hooley, Haslam, Walton, Heapy, Hulme, Wildigg, Walton
Congleton - Cooke
Stockport - Whittingham, Sheppard
Ireland - Walton, Gain

Offline snowman1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 14 January 06 16:54 GMT (UK) »
I'll send a pm rather than clog up the forum with our details,

Best wishes,
Richard

Offline Mel55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 July 06 05:11 BST (UK) »
I'm working on the Walton line in Callan and Kells Grange.  I have a James Walton born July 26, 1870 in Kilmoganny Dist.  His parents were Nicholas Walton and Catherine (nee Dunne).  He would have been my great uncle.  Any connections?

Offline snowman1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 July 06 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Mel55,

Thanks for posting.  It's difficult to say if there's a connection, as I have tantilisingly little to go on. 

My great-gf was James Walton (1836 - 1909), his father was James Walton, who must have therefore been born prior to  (say) 1816.   

They appear in censuses starting at 1861 so it is feasible to think they migrated at the time of the potato famine or just after; g-gf James gave his birthplace as Dublin in one census and Kilkenny as another.  His father's occupation is listed as soldier on marriage certificate, and there is a barracks in Kilkenny. 

I'm not familiar with the places you mention, are they within Kilkenny? 

I'm not sure where to go from here, can you suggest any avenues to investigate?

Best regards,
Richard

Offline Mel55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 July 06 03:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Richard,

Kilmoganny Dist is part of Kells which is outside Callan in Kilkenny.

My oldest entry is a James Walton who died in 1870 and then I go to his son Nicholas Walton (born in 1828 and died in Lower Garrynaman, Kells, Dunanaggin, Kilmegan on July 3, 1884 ).  I don't have any info on other siblings.  Possibility there though of a James in 1836.

Nicholas married Catherine Dunne and one of their sons was a James born 6/26/1870.  Most of this family emigrated to Brooklyn, New York on October 13, 1893.  Nicholas and Catherine would have been my great-grandparents.  Their daugher Ellen (b 2/27/1877) was my grandmother.

They all started in and around Callan and Kells.  According to a map of appx. 1641 that area was the only place Waltons were landowners.  I confuse matters futher because both my g-father and g-mother were Waltons!

I got most of my info from my father's cousin who had done a huge amount of research before he passed on a few years ago.  I'll try to dig up some papers of his that were passed on to me and see what else I can find.

Melinda

Offline snowman1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 21 July 06 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Mel,

I'd certainly be interested if you came up with anything.  btw my Waltons lived in Macclesfield, Cheshire, UK - looking back at the previous posts that probably wasn't very clear.  They were a very large family - 15 children!!!!!

Thanks,
Richard