Author Topic: John Mac/McDougall born 1878?  (Read 933 times)

Offline chinny

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Mac/McDougall born 1878?
« on: Friday 07 November 14 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello I'm doing my family tree and came across a new member of the tree (John Mac/McDougall)who was married to a Mary mcpherson in 1910 Govan so i'm trying to find his parent and place of birth to start a new branch.I know they had three children:-
Margaret downie Mac/McDougall b 1911 Govan/Glasgow.
John alexander   Mac/McDougall b 1914 Bermondsey, London.
Mary scott          Mac/McDougall b 1915 Poplar,London      Died 2007.
And they lived in Poplar East London.
I've his Army records but it doesn't say anything about where he was born or Mother/Father so any help will be helpful.
                     Thank you for looking,
                                  Kevin
JAMIESON :-Govan-Glasgow-Edinburgh-Suffolk and paisley -East London-Now in Suffolk.              DOWNIE    :-  Burntisland-Kingshorn-Dunfermline.                              MCPHERSON:-Midlothian-Torryburn 

Scotland:-  Cochran,Brown,Orr,Mcdougall,Mcintosh
England :-  Shillabeer,Mcdougall                                                                 HALL     :-   East London

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Mac/McDougall born 1878?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 07 November 14 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kevin

The 1910 marriage cert will/should show his parents' names and his age.   You  can get this from  Scotlands People:  www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk . It's a pay site but very reasonable - would be 6 credits (£1.40) for the marriage cert.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline chinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 07 November 14 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hello Gadget,I know about Scotlandpeople but i thought their might be someone out their also researching the name or family that  can help me with some infomation.
                                                                   Kevin :)
JAMIESON :-Govan-Glasgow-Edinburgh-Suffolk and paisley -East London-Now in Suffolk.              DOWNIE    :-  Burntisland-Kingshorn-Dunfermline.                              MCPHERSON:-Midlothian-Torryburn 

England :-  Shillabeer,Mcdougall                                                                 HALL     :-   East London

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 07 November 14 11:46 GMT (UK) »
I agree with Gadget you would be better to get copy of his marriage to get his parent's and then you know you have the right information ..A tree has him born 17/9/1878 Govan parent's John McDougall and Mary Scott  :)

Offline chinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 07 November 14 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello rosie17,Yes you and Gadget are right about getting a copy of marriage but i should of made the heading looking for family of John Mcdougall but thank you about his mother and father now i can start to search more.
                             Thank you
                                  Kevin

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 07 November 14 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Kevin, it is never a good idea to rely on the accuracy of 'a tree' that you have or someone else has found somewhere online. You really need to get that certificate to be sure that you are tracking the right people. Never assume that whoever created any tree did their research properly. Online trees are very useful as pointers to where to look for original information, but not as authentic research.

Though I agree that his daughter's middle name does seem to point to his parentage being as in 'a tree'.

For a glaring example of how one person's error becomes someone else's accepted truth, see
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=619657.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline chinny

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 07 November 14 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Yes i agree what you're saying but i was hoping someone out their could help as i'm new at this and hope someone could point me in the right direction also i used to use the website Mundia.com but now that has shut.
                    Kevin

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 07 November 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Yes i agree what you're saying but i was hoping someone out their could help as i'm new at this and hope someone could point me in the right direction

There is only one online source of original statutory birth, marriage, death and census data for Scotland, and that is Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk. Every other site on the net has only transcriptions or other secondary information as far as these data sets are concerned.

SP is a pay-per-view site but modestly priced if you are careful with your searches, and it is possible to use the transcriptions on various other sites to locate the original documents you need.

I think Mundia got swallowed up in the rapacious maw of Ancestry, but it is of no significance as it didn't have the full set of original documents to start with. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.