Author Topic: help with my irish family tree please  (Read 18280 times)

Offline bobdunford6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
help with my irish family tree please
« on: Monday 12 August 13 11:15 BST (UK) »
my name is bobdunford6.my wife was born in dublin .and would love to be able to trace her family tree.can you please help
starting with her father thomas murphy born 1888/1889 lived in westmorland park renelagh dublin
died 13 december 1937.sir patrich dunn hospital dublin.lived at 28 monsterboice crumlin dublin.
thomas murphy. had three brothers michael murphy .peter murphy.patrick murphy.,
mother mary ann duffy,born august 3rd 1900.gullaten westmorland park ranelagh.dublin.
died nov 4th 1982 .st james hospital james st dublin.lived 78 rafters road Drimnagh. Dublin.
Mary Ann Duffy had two brothers john Joseph Duffy .and George Duffy.

children
 Thomas Murphy born 5 may 1923 died 30 September 1956.lived 122 Keogh square Inchicore. Dublin.

Patrick Frances Murphy born 23 march 1925.died 6 th Aprilt James hospital .James st Dublind 78 rafters road Drimnagh. Dublin

Mary Ann Murphy born 26 January 1927 died 2 February 1999. Lived 78 rafters road..drimnagh.dublin

Details removed

christine jean murphy.born 18 july 1929.died 30 december 2008.glencorraig nursing home knocklyn 24.lived at 78 rafters road.drimnagh .dublin.

jane rosalean murphy. born july 8 1931.died 26 july 2011 bradford .england

Details of 3 children removed

would love to start a family tree .with thomas murphy father and mother
                                                         mary ann duffy .father and mother.and so on
  please can you help.

Moderator comment: details of living people removed in accordance with Rootschat policies

Offline jnoone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: help with my irish family tree please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 August 13 12:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
A couple of questions.Are you estimating Thomas Murphy's birth year from his death certificate.On family search there are a number of possible birth records which are possibly correct.Did he have a middle name?
Do you know when his brothers died and how old they were?
Do you have the marriage record of Thomas to Mary Duffy.One possible match for the marriage is
Marriages Dublin South Jan/Mar 1921
Thomas Murphy
Volume 2
Page 637
If this is correct it will give their fathers names.

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 August 13 12:42 BST (UK) »
The 1901 & 1911 Irish censuses are online at
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

You should be able to find Thomas Murphy & Mary Ann Duffy with their parents in 1901 at least.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline farlington

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 August 13 12:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob, having been researching my Irish ancestry for a while, it takes a lot of patience and some serious trawling. I agree with Josey, start with the 1901, several Thomas Murphys there.

farlington

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 August 13 13:05 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. This isn't a forum for tracing living relatives and we aren't allowed to post details of living/possibly living people so the first thing you need to do is remove some information from your 1st post on this thread (click on 'modify' to make changes- you can do this within 24 hours, otherwise you'll need to use 'report to moderator' to ask for it to be done for you).

After you check the 1901 and 1911 census records online (since all the first names/surnames you've listed are very common there may be too many possibilities to be sure you've found the right households) you should probably order the marriage certificate to get names and occupations of both father (mothers are never listed on Irish marriage certificates).

Once you get back to c1900 there might be church records online here- but you need to be careful not to follow the wrong family and get muddled (easily done with common names and little detail)
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline jnoone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 August 13 13:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
Do you know when Mary's brothers were born and if they were her only brothers and sisters.I am having problems finding her on the 1901 or 1911 census and having similar problems with Thomas finding him alongside brothers Peter Patrick and Michael

Offline jnoone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 August 13 13:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob
If you are sure Mary was born in  August 1900 in Ranelagh there is 1 birth record on family search which might be correct
Births Dublin South Jul/Sept 1900
Mary Duffy
Volume 2
Page 674

Offline bobdunford6

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 August 13 14:17 BST (UK) »
I THINK MARY ANN DUFFY WAS BORN 1900 AND YOUR DATE IS CORRECT

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 12 August 13 14:37 BST (UK) »
Bob-

Welcome to Rootschat. This isn't a forum for tracing living relatives and we aren't allowed to post details of living/possibly living people so the first thing you need to do is remove some information from your 1st post on this thread (click on 'modify' to make changes- you can do this within 24 hours, otherwise you'll need to use 'report to moderator' to ask for it to be done for you).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!