Author Topic: Orphan records of Artane Industrial School Dublin  (Read 20703 times)

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Orphan records of Artane Industrial School Dublin
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 July 14 17:20 BST (UK) »
The usual age for going out on licence from Artane was 16 usually to a work placement in agriculture or if they were lucky enough to have some other skill, this happened to a great uncle of  mine in 1908 he was back home on the census by 1911.
I dont think there would have been any distinction placed on an orphan or a delinquent to be treated differently, there should be some sort of record of him leaving that house of horrors if indeed as Heywood pointed out date of start of Artane,i dont think he would have been housed there.
Can we ask what led you to believe he was in Artane.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 20 July 14 17:36 BST (UK) »
Just to point out my great uncle was placed there through no fault of his own as his father went into prison for a month1900/1901 while his mother was in an infirmary,poor lads age was given as 12 when he was actually 14 he had to spend an extra two years in there than he should have.
But how would you cateragoise him ,as orphan?

Offline wingood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 20 July 14 21:24 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for posting these helpful replies, specifically:-

Conahy calling,  pet50ite, and eadaoin - and I shall try your suggestions

Heywood - thank you, yes. Although I am not sure this Michael is my ancestor (his full name was Joseph Edmondson Masterson, after his mother's surname) I have looked to see what happened to Mary Anne, thinking she may have died early, leaving Joseph as the only child which family tradition says he was. But I found no reference to her later, e.g.  death or marriage.
If Artane opened only in 1870, the1854 Joseph was then 16, the age dathai says pupils left. Perhaps the Christian Brothers ran an earlier school on the site, or  the 1854 Joseph was not my ancestor. Either way, seeing the original church record entry is my first objective.

dathai - I think the Artane  you speak of  was not what it was 60 years before when my ancestor was there, He was a US Navy volunteer seaman after leaving, and had an article about his voyages published later  in the Artane school magazine, which I have. The other evidence that he was a pupil is a poem he published  in a Glasgow newspaper when he lived there, which referred to the good education he had at Artane.   

Again, thanks to you all, and to any others who can help.   

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 July 14 22:10 BST (UK) »
Re Joseph and his twin Mary Ann - they were baptised with an address of Pill Lane and 4 years later twins John and Margaret were baptised from Fisher Lane. Apparently Pill Lane ran into Fisher Lane so it does look quite likely that this would be the same family.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 20 July 14 23:20 BST (UK) »
a Joseph E Masterson of 18 Coles lane son of Michael and Margaret Edmondson married Bridget Goodwin 29 July 1883.
In 1882 a John Masterson married to a Mary Anne Morriss was living at this address.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 21 July 14 09:27 BST (UK) »
The civil index for marriages 1883 shows that Joseph Edmundson Masterson got married to Bridget Goodwin 1883
Irish Genealogy shows children being born from 1884 till 1898 cant find them on 1901 census.
Googling the parents names brings up a Family treemaker possibly connected to a Moscato family
which states that some of these children died in New York 1960/1970s but it is very vague.
There is also another marriage in Dublin North in 1885 for a Joseph Edmundson Masterson.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 21 July 14 12:59 BST (UK) »
I think the 2nd marriage is still to Bridget. :-\

Offline wingood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 21 July 14 21:11 BST (UK) »
Thank you again, dathai and heywood.  I know a lot of the history of JE Masterson's  family from his marriage to Bridget onwards. Some went to Glasgow, USA, and some back to Dublin. From what you tell me of this Michael's family, it seems less likely that JEM was their son, but I would like to see the original church birth record to be sure.
I have written to the church, as pet50ite suggested,  to ask where the original entry can be seen. I expect the National Library (eadaoin's suggestion) will hold only the transcripts but  I shall enquire.
wingood

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 21 July 14 21:36 BST (UK) »
a Joseph E Masterson of 18 Coles lane son of Michael and Margaret Edmondson married Bridget Goodwin 29 July 1883.
In 1882 a John Masterson married to a Mary Anne Morriss was living at this address.

This is quite significant though.
John Masterson was at this address in 1871 so could not be a brother to Joseph but perhaps an uncle?
There is a possible 1864 marriage of a John Masterson to a Mary Anne Morrissey in the indexes