Author Topic: What is the name of the Parish Church in Leeds in 1839  (Read 6525 times)

Offline ankerpep_52

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What is the name of the Parish Church in Leeds in 1839
« on: Tuesday 19 August 14 17:39 BST (UK) »
I have a marriage certificate showing they were married in Nov.1839 at the parish church of Leeds. can anyone tell me the name of the Church?.   St Peters was demolished in 1938, and not reopened until 1841. Also Leeds Yorkshire-and other villages,towns, cities etc-  West, East North or South Yorkshire-How does one find out which area they should be checking?. Very  confusing trying to locate information especially if one does not know the address in Yorkshire, as in Census info that states one was born in Yorkshire. but no other information.. Please help me to sort this out. Thank you.
BOKOTA-Hampshire & Surrey/ SI(Y)MONDS-Kent, Ldn PAPANICOLAOU-Hampshire /HARTLEY- Derby&Ldn/ SMITH-Ldn/ COLE-Hants & Ldn/ CREED-Berks, Ldn, Oxfordshire/ BRADLEY, DOCWRA & LAND- Islington &Kent/  HUMPHERSTON-Ldn./ ALLEN-Ldn & Surrey/ DOWNEY & DAVIDSON & FITCHARD-NBL & Durham, HARTLEY-Montreal QC Canada
RASMUSSEN-Storring Arhus,& SORENSEN,& JENSEN- Veng,& Hjelmslev, Skanderborg Denmark/HANSEN-Fejo,Fuglse,Maribo,DK

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What is the name of the Parish Church in Leeds in 1839
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
Well, there appear to be records for St Peter, Leeds in 1839, although it does just say "The Parish Church" in "the parish of Leeds" on the marriage entry I looked at.  Similarly there are baptism entries for 1839, again headed as "The Parish Church of Leeds".   West Yorkshire Archive Service show records held as 1572-1950 for baptisms, 1572-1993 for marriages and 1572-1854 for burials and Banns 1776-1977.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
Hi...You could try here:

http://www.calverley.info/farn_mar.htm

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 17:57 BST (UK) »
Go to http://maps.familysearch.org/ and put Leeds in the search box, or any other location
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ankerpep_52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 18:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol: Looked at the various titles, however no help but thanks for the reply. This may help to locate the proper Church-Mr Edson was residing at New Lane and Ms Levitt was at Meadow Lane. Would this give the area of the city where the Church would be?  Janet
BOKOTA-Hampshire & Surrey/ SI(Y)MONDS-Kent, Ldn PAPANICOLAOU-Hampshire /HARTLEY- Derby&Ldn/ SMITH-Ldn/ COLE-Hants & Ldn/ CREED-Berks, Ldn, Oxfordshire/ BRADLEY, DOCWRA & LAND- Islington &Kent/  HUMPHERSTON-Ldn./ ALLEN-Ldn & Surrey/ DOWNEY & DAVIDSON & FITCHARD-NBL & Durham, HARTLEY-Montreal QC Canada
RASMUSSEN-Storring Arhus,& SORENSEN,& JENSEN- Veng,& Hjelmslev, Skanderborg Denmark/HANSEN-Fejo,Fuglse,Maribo,DK

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 18:49 BST (UK) »
As I understand it, the new St Peter, was built on the same site as the old St Peter. 
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 August 14 19:10 BST (UK) »
If you go to the link I gave you will see that it is St. Peter, an ancient parish, and all the other parishes in Leeds and the dates they were formed from the parish of St peter. You can superimpose the modern map of the area.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 00:11 BST (UK) »
I just did a google and found this

Leeds Minster, or the Minster and Parish Church of Saint Peter-at-Leeds, formerly Leeds Parish Church, in Leeds, West Yorkshire is a large Church of England foundation of major architectural and liturgical significance. A church is recorded on the site as early as the 7th century, although the present structure is a Gothic Revival one, dating from the mid-19th century.It is dedicated to Saint Peter and was the Parish Church of Leeds before becoming a Minster in 2012. It has been designated a grade I listed building by English Heritage.  there's more! On the wiki

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds_Minster

Cheers

Jeanne

"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 August 14 07:03 BST (UK) »
I have a feeling, but I am sure someone will put me right, that St Mary's Chapelry may have been  used whilst St Peter was being rebuilt.  My reasoning is that there are no burial records for St Mary, they all appear in the records for "the Parish Church of Leeds", with the added information "at St Mary".  Baptisms and Marriages did not require this information to be included  :-\ :-\

Whilst I have pictures of the two churches, I don't have the accompanying blurb.  There is, or was, a placard within the church, giving the history.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY