Author Topic: Help please, Re Glue  (Read 8610 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help please, Re Glue
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 13 September 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
It's on Ancestry - England, Select Marriages, 1538-1973! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 13 September 14 11:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry my mistake, Thomas and Harriett's marriage is 1844. I haven't got a copy of the marriage only an index and the place on the index is Staunton, the workhouse is Easebourne. I am from Australia so place names are not my forte!

Thomas's first wife was Thomasin Davis she died in 1940 at Rogate, they had ten children all born in Rogate.  Thomas was born here also as it states on the 1851 census.

I am fairly up to scratch with the family my only real dead end is where Thomas was when the 1841 census was taken. I also need to purchase some BDM certificates, can some one tell me how to go about this.
Many thanks for your help, sometimes another view point helps one to think outside the square.
Judy

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 13 September 14 11:32 BST (UK) »
The 1841 census was taken on the night of 6th June.

BMD certificates can be ordered from http://www.gro.gov.uk/GRO/content/certificates/default.asp

Beware that if you Google BMD certificates you may find other sites that will get BMD certificates for you but at a charge on top of the GRO's (General Register Office)

It's very straightforward but you will need the person's name, the registration district, the volume number and the page number.  If you want more of an explanation of things go to http://www.gro.gov.uk/ and follow the links from there. 

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 13 September 14 12:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for that info

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 13 September 14 20:18 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you could update your profile to say you are in Australia?    The we won't assume you might know the area.
A good site to look at to find about local places here is www.genuki.org.uk     The Sussex pages have lots of information.
Sussex Family History Group might be worth a look too.  They have online registers available for members and it is not an enormous annual fee to join.
I looked on their pre 1837 Marriage Index to find the marriage to Thomasin but it is not there so most likely did not take place in Sussex.  How do you know her name?
Glue/Glew is an unusual name so should make searching a bit easier.   Annoying that he can't be found in 1841.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 14 September 14 12:01 BST (UK) »
Tomsion (or similar) Glue's death was registered in Midhurst district in Q3 1840. vol 7 page 297. UKBMD  says this district spans Hampshire and Sussex and that Rogate was transferred from Hampshire to Sussex in 1844

http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/districts/midhurst.html

So maybe marriage record is in Hampshire
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 14 September 14 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thomasin (the daughter) baptism on Ancestry 7 May 1837 Rogate - gives father as Thomas and mother as Thomasin. Thomasin jnr's middle name is recorded as Davis. This is just a transcript, no image on Ancestry, so would need checking. But if correct may be a clue as to Thomasin snr's maiden name.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline heaven

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 15 September 14 00:25 BST (UK) »
Yes, according to other Glue families Thomasin senior's surname was Davis, and Thomas's parents were Thomas Glue born abt 1756 in Rogate (haven't been able to find a birth/baptism record) and Ann Taylor, married 17 March 1778. I have found a marriage on LDS Family Search but it only has a film number. Marriage place Althorpe Lincoln.
Would the marriage record for Thomas and Thomasin, or Thomas and Harriett give me his parents names.
It's all very well to accept other families research, however I need to have the evidence to verify this information.
In saying this I'm finding other Glue family missing on 1841 census also, perhaps the records are not complete.
Thank you all very much for your input it is greatly appreciated. 

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 September 14 09:21 BST (UK) »
Family search has the following all baptised in Rogate to Thomas and Ann Glew

Mary Glew 8 Jun 1783
Thomas Glew 4 Feb 1787
George Glew 6 Sep 1789
Betty Glew 6 March 1791
Frances Glew  29 July 1793
John Glew  18 Sep 1796
James Glew  8 Dec 1799

As well as being listed in Rogate, they are all repeated with only county (Sussex) recorded, an additional one with Sussex only with parents Thomas and Ann is Mely Glew  bapt 20 Feb 1785  (female). This would fit nicely between Mary and Thomas.

FindMyPast has burials for Thomas and Ann in Rogate in 1735. Ann on 27 July 1835 and Thomas on 18 Feb 1835. Ages at death gives Ann's birth year as 1752 and Thomas's as 1751.
As first child found was baptised in 1783, either they married when they were 30 or so, or they married in early to mid twenties and there are a few earlier children somewhere, possibly born elsewhere.

Other burials in Rogate which might be connected:
Hannah Glew buried 23 March 1835, estimated birth year 1791. Could be another child of Thomas and Ann not previously found or wife of one of the sons. There is a baptism in Rogate of a Josiah to a Joseph and Hannah in 1828.

James Glue buried 10 March 1801, noted he is son of Thomas and Ann

Henry Charles Groves Glew buried 12 Dec 1834 noted he is infant son of Jemima. This implies he was illegitimate and his name leads to the conclusion his father's surname was Groves.
No sign of a Jemima baptised in Rogate but there is a Jemima baptised to a Henry Glue and Ann in Harting Sussex on 9 Aug 1812. She would be about the right sort of age and Harting only about 4 or 5 miles away. So there might be a connection.