Author Topic: Irish Sailors and Soldiers Land Trust dublin houses  (Read 18845 times)

Offline gnikdivad

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Quis Separabit'
    • View Profile
Irish Sailors and Soldiers Land Trust dublin houses
« on: Friday 21 January 11 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
My Grandfather fought in WW1 in the British Army.  He was shot in 1918 and after discharge in 1919 he cam back to Dublin.  He lived in Churchtown in the ex-service men houses on Lower Churchtown Road (still our family home)

What I was wondering was how would I find out about his process for getting the house, how much rent he paid, how much my nanny had to pay for it in 1954 after he passed away. 
If any of you can help point me in the right direction it would be amazing

Hope someone can help
David
Dublin = King, Valentine
Wexford = Doyle, Denby (Denbeigh), Redmond, Graham

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Irish Sailors and Soldiers Land Trust dublin houses
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 January 11 13:49 GMT (UK) »
There's lots available online although you'd need to read through the various sites to see if there are answers to your questions. Googling "Irish Sailors and Soldiers Land Trust" brings up lots-
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/content~content=a917593418~db=all~jumptype=rss

The National Archives seem to have tenancy files and other documents-
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/irish-genealogy.htm

A fairly recent mention-
http://www.theyworkforyou.com/wms/?id=2006-02-27b.5WS.2
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gnikdivad

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Quis Separabit'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 January 11 14:02 GMT (UK) »
That's great thanks for that!!! Does anyone know if I would be able to get my hands on the actual records for the house instead of just a general idea of what was paid from a third party article.
Dublin = King, Valentine

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 21 January 11 16:42 GMT (UK) »
If you go to National Archives link I posted earlier and click on the AP 7 link you'll see the catalogue description. It sounds as though you need to search by address (which you have) rather than tenant's name.

Offline gnikdivad

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Quis Separabit'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 January 11 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again!! I'm pretty new to all this family history and I am loving it!! Would it be possible that these records are available in ireland or just at kew?
Dublin = King, Valentine

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 January 11 21:01 GMT (UK) »
According to the link- "Held by The National Archives, Kew"

Offline gnikdivad

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Quis Separabit'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 21 January 11 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you aghadowey, you are a great help...

Thank you so much
Dublin = King, Valentine

Offline geonel

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 March 11 20:26 BST (UK) »
Hi gnikdivad,my greatgrandfather was given one of those houses on lwr churchtown road too, sadly it was sold a while back but I am curious to know how you got on with finding any records? I had a look at the ancestry.co.uk site but I couldnt figure out how to search actual records. We cannot trace my Greatgrandfathers war history, we dont know where the medals are so we dont have a regiment number either. We reckon the sailors and soldiers trust is our best bet. Any info would be much appreciated.
Maria

Offline gnikdivad

• RootsChat Extra
  • 'Quis Separabit'
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 28 March 11 11:12 BST (UK) »
Hi gnikdivad,my greatgrandfather was given one of those houses on lwr churchtown road too, sadly it was sold a while back but I am curious to know how you got on with finding any records? I had a look at the ancestry.co.uk site but I couldnt figure out how to search actual records. We cannot trace my Greatgrandfathers war history, we dont know where the medals are so we dont have a regiment number either. We reckon the sailors and soldiers trust is our best bet. Any info would be much appreciated.
Maria

Dear Maria
I have come across some info which might be of use to you.  If you go to the National Archives link
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/displaycataloguedetails.asp?CATLN=3&CATID=808&SearchInit=4&SearchType=6&CATREF=AP+7&j=1

You will se the catalogue description.  Click the browse from here link and then click AP7 floder icon to expand the file for a description of what is contained in the archives.  You might well find something of use in there, although there is not a lot on the Churchtown houses.  I ordered the photo of the Churchtown houses from the archives that was taken just after they were built, and by a huge stroke of luck my house was actually in it..  What number house was your Great Granddads?  My family have lived there from the start so I might know the family name!

If you like I can send you a copy of the photo to save you ordering it form London (just private message me with your email address)  There are some articles available online about the trust that might be worth a read.  I also plan to search our own national archives for some info, there must be something there!

As for his military service, a fantastic website is http://www.fourteeneighteen.co.uk/ 
I used them to track my granddads service and they did an amazing job.  I did have his service number and his date of discharge which is more then what you have, however the are amazing group of researchers and the will work with you to help narrow it down for you, it is a cheap service too, well worth a look.  They will be doing another one for me soon on my great uncle, (who no one in my family even new existed until i started this family history, he was killed in 1918 in France)  So maybe mention my name when applying, (David King) we might get a discount lol. 

You may already know but only about 25% of the ww1 service records survive but there are other ways by which to find stuff out.

Ok I am rambling now, I hope that was of some help to you, dont hesitate to cantact me id you think I can be of more help.
Dublin = King, Valentine