Author Topic: Looking for any information on an Egan family?  (Read 3431 times)

Offline Raradir

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for any information on an Egan family?
« on: Thursday 10 March 11 16:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi I'm looking for some information on an Egan family, not sure what county, also it may be an MacEgan. We currently have.....

Ellen Egan-----------------------| William Allen
B. 1828---------------------------| B. 1833, Ireland
D. 1897, Liverpool--------------|
                              |
                              |
Elisabeth Best-------------------| Redmond Egan
B. 1801, England----------------| B. 1808, Ireland
-------------------------------------| D. 1858, England
                              |
                              |
Ann Grady
B. 1786, Ireland-----------------| Squire Michael Egan
-------------------------------------| B. 1782, Ireland

So if anyone can shed any light on this and perhaps have information that would be great, hope you can read my attempt at trying to do a family tree lol

Thanks
Raradir

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for any information on an Egan family?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 10 March 11 16:32 GMT (UK) »
You will need to search for available church records to locate details as early as this, and to so you need to know the family religion and also where in Ireland they lived - i.e. the townland or parish.

See : 

My Ancestor came from Ireland - where do I start?

Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline johnjensen

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 12 March 11 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Do you already have William and Ellen's wedding details in Liverpool in Q2 1853? They are at
ttp://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl?start=1853&end=1853&sq=2&eq=2&type=Marriages&vol=8b&pgno=330&jsexec=1&mono=0&v=MTI5OTg4ODgyNTpiMjlhNmFmOGFiYzBiMTQyMzhiM2JmNzY2MmEzMGEyYjFiNmU4M2E1&searchdef=given%3Dwilliam%26db%3Dbmd_1298539912%26sq%3D1%26v%3DMTI5OTg4ODc0MjpiMjY1MjdiNmIxYjk0MTYzZGM3NjY0NzA4OWZkZjBiYTUyYzcwYzlh%26s_surname%3Degan%26surname%3Dallen%26end%3D1880%26s_given%3Dellen%26type%3DMarriages%26eq%3D4%26start%3D1849&action=Find

Offline EADAVE

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 May 14 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hope you still read the site. 

Redmond Egan and Elizabeth Best are my 3x Great Grandparents.  Both born Dublin.  they're children, all born Liverpool are Ellen (1828) Robert (1830) Sarah (1834) James (1837) and Eliza Ann (1840).  Ellen as you have recorded marries William Allen (they is a newspaper article of the theft of items from Redmond house, which also included items owned by William Allen)(they had eight known children).  Robert married Mary Whinery (having five children) 7 May 1855.  Sarah Married John Cave (having nine known children) - John Cave and William Allen appear to linked through work. James married Ann Jane Swale (with two known children) in 1862; and Eliza Ann married Richard Tipping (five children) and then William Jones (sea Pilot - four children).

Michael and Ann are Redmond's parents.  Most information only them comes from Sister Urania (Torres Strait Islands, Australia) in the early 1900's (online at Ancestry.co.uk), this confirms that Margaret Maxwell (sister of Redmond) chased her son to Australia and left a young daughter with the Allen's (in Dublin - who "were well to do") the daughter later followed.

Margaret had a sister already in Australia, Anne Read (married John Cecil Read, baronet of Ireland).  I have travelled to Dublin and been able to find details of Margaret's marriage to John (Thomas) Maxwell, solicitor at St. Michan's Church, Dublin.  But not yet found any further information on Michael Egan or Ann Grady*

* Ann Grady may well be Ann Brady.  Sister Urania's letter refers to the fact that Anne Egan and John Cecil Read are cousins - his grandmother maiden name was Brady.

David