Author Topic: WOODS Baptismal records 1830s  (Read 1112 times)

Offline bjh1225

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WOODS Baptismal records 1830s
« on: Monday 18 August 14 22:59 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate the baptismal records for these WOODS siblings:   
          Ellen b 1834         James  b 1835       Mary  b 1836

They were Roman Catholic and we think their mother's  name was Rose Toeffe or some version of that spelling.    The 3 siblings left Ireland and came to California, United States by 1855.   Have not found  them on a ship's passenger list.

The family may have resided in Omagh.   Any ideas as to where to research will be most welcomed.

Thanks,  Bettye

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WOODS Baptismal records 1830s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 August 14 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hi There

The nearest to that surname that I can think of is Taffe !

Where did you get their mother's name from ?

Have you gotten their father's name and occupation from any of the children's marriages or deaths ?

Tara

Offline ferrfuzz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: WOODS Baptismal records 1830s
« Reply #2 on: Friday 12 September 14 11:40 BST (UK) »
Prior to 1845 there are very few records for Roman Catholics. The place to start is the Griffiths Valuations. Drumragh Parish is the most likely you are after, and there is a James Woods of Gillygooley, and a William Woods of Gortmore there as land owners in 1851 when the Griffiths Valuation was done in County Tyrone.
Termonmaguirk (East and West) also is now Omagh.
I will keep an eye out for you, as I am also looking at WOODS in Co-Tyrone for siblings of Rachel Woods B:circa 1792, Married: 1813 to Patrick McCallion (B:1793) from Fintona, Parish Donacavey.

A suggestion of the mothers surname possibly Taaffe. That is the most likely to appear similar in the old handwriting of the day  ;)
McCallion (Donacavey Pre 1900's), Rachel Woods-1793-1841 Fintona, Anne Gorman B:1813+/-(Co-Tyrone) Ann Colgan B;1822 Fintona, Owen McCallion/Collins B:1814-unknown assumed dead 1854/55 (?) Collins, Heffernan, Bateman, McMullen, Coman, Tarlinton, Foley (post 1843 Australia)