Author Topic: What became of Nellie Maud Greaves after 1911 Census  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What became of Nellie Maud Greaves after 1911 Census
« on: Sunday 21 September 14 10:30 BST (UK) »
Hoping for some assistance in locating Nellie Maud Greaves nee Robertson after the death of her husband in 1921.

Nellie was married to John Aden Ley Greaves bet Apr - Jun 1910 at Winchester, Hampshire.  John made regular trips to South Africa etc and died Nigeria in 1921.  Nellie would have been about 33 years of age at John's death and with at least one child Robert Charles Ley Greaves born 1913. 

At the time of john's death Nellie and child were living at Bonadventure Road Salcombe, Devonshire.

I cannot locate Nellie after John's death.  I had wondered if she married again but haven't been able to locate her death as Greaves or some other name.  ???

The name Greaves was also recorded as Ley Greaves however on her marriage record it was Greaves.

I wonder also if I should post this to the Devonshire board as well and seek your advice.

Westy11

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: What became of Nellie Maud Greaves after 1911 Census
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 September 14 11:26 BST (UK) »
Hi (again) Westy

These peeps clearly had money, so am wondering if, and it might be a big IF, you could find an engagement/marriage announcement in The Times for Robert's wedding it might help.  The standard format is to say something like "John, son of Mr and Mrs William Smith", or " ...son of the late Mr William Smith and Mrs William Smith" (signalling that Mrs Smith hadn't re-married), or "... and Mrs Frederick Jones (signalling that Mrs Smith had re-married and was now Mrs Jones).

The two major flaws in my plan are 1. Find a marriage for Robert and 2. Find an announcement in The Times.

I don't have a sub to the British Newspaper Archive, but see from the basic search that there's an article in the Exeter and Plymouth Gazette on 27 Aug 1929 about Robert being awarded a scholarship of £100/annum.  Maybe that holds a clue?  Who knows?  There's also an announcement in 1908 of John Aden's engagement, and an announcement in 1921 about claims on the estate of the late John Aden.

Sorry I can't be of any more direct help.

STG

Edited because of my later post.
Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 September 14 11:34 BST (UK) »
A potential remarriage?

June qtr 1935
Bournemouth district     vol 2b, page 1856

Greaves, Nellie
Barnes, Ivor J

Trees on Ancestry have Robert marrying Constance Crowder in 1939?
Can't see it on FreeBMD, though?!
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 September 14 11:49 BST (UK) »
Found the 1929 scholarship announcement.  Says:

A scholarship of £100 per annum has been awarded by the Committee of Lloyds to Robert Charles Ley Greaves of Allhallows School, Honiton.  The scholarship is tenable for a two-year's course on H.M.S. Worcester.

The 1908 engagement announcement says:

An engagement is announced between John Aden Ley Greaves, resident Northern Nigeria, younger son of the late William Spencer Greaves of Monte Video House, near Weymouth and Mrs Greaves of The Woodlands, Limpley Stoke, and Nellie Maud, second daughter of Major R B Robertson late Glamorgan Royal Field Artillery (Militia), of Hodgeston Hall, Co. Pembroke.

And the legal notice (something to do with the Property Amendment Act of 1859 !) refers to Major John Aden Ley Greaves and gives his date of death as 26 Mar 1921. 

STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 21 September 14 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Westy11

You need to start a new topic on the Devonshire board, but as this one has started getting replies, I would wait a while.

If you do start a new topic please make sure you copy and paste the URL from the top of the screen into the new topic to prevent people duplicating what has already been found.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 September 14 11:54 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if this is Nellie Maude??

Marriage reg FreeBMD
Nellie M Greaves
Wilfred I Walton
Jun qtr 1923
Windsor Berks
2c 1078

then there is this
Departure Africa
Arrival Liverpool England 27 Feb 1919
Wilfred I Walton age 38 is class a/c of Police
Home address 15 Clarence Rd Windsor Berks

Death reg
Nellie M Walton
age 37
Mar qtr 1926
Kingsbridge
Devon
5b 274

Probate
Nellie Maud Walton of the Nook Batson Salcombe Devon wife of Wilfred Isaac Walton died 26 Mar 1926 Probate London 28 Aug to Wilfred Isaac Walton Gentleman & Dorothy Walton spinster
Effects £589 11s 1d

Maybe worth further investigation

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 21 September 14 12:09 BST (UK) »
there are 2 entries on the Probate Calender for John Aden

John Aden Ley Greaves of Okeni Bonadventure Rd Salcombe Devon died 26 mar 1921 at Lokoja Norttern Nigeria Administration London 12 July to Nellie Maude Greaves widow
Effects £1420 14s 8d
Revoked 14 Nov 1921

John Aden Ley greaves of Okeni Bonadventure Rd Salcombe Devon died 26 Mar 1921 at Lokoja Norhern Nigeria Probate London 16 Feb 1922 to Nellie Maude Greaves widow
Effects £1420 14s 8d
Former grant PR July 1921 revoked

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 21 September 14 23:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Suzard, Dawnsh, STG & KGarrad  :)

Thanks so much for your assistance.  I will wait a bit before I get the post moved.  The death fits as well so I will investigate getting a certificate of death.  How sad if Nellie died so very young. 

Westy11