Author Topic: Magner Roxbury/Boston Massachusetts  (Read 2411 times)

Offline Phenmark

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Magner Roxbury/Boston Massachusetts
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 30 March 14 17:49 BST (UK) »
I'm not second guessing my ancestors' motives. That's why I posed the question regarding an intentional different date. I'm trying to understand the process.
 I am second guessing the assertion that a man forgets what city he landed in after uprooting his whole life and journeying across the Atlantic. Not too mention the fact that he forgets whether he was 16 or 30 years old when he did it! I just can't buy that.
Baker: Dorset, England > Newfoundland > Massachusetts
Peddle: England > Newfoundland
White: Dorset, England > Newfoundland
Magner: Co. Cork, Ireland > Boston
Otto: Eisfeld, Thuringia, Germany > Boston
McDonald: Co. Carlow, Ireland > Fall River, Massachusetts
Thayer: Thornbury, Gloucestershire, England > Braintree, Massachusetts
Marks: Portugal > Massachusetts
Gilmore: Co. Westmeath, Ireland > Massachusetts
Farnum, Phillips: England > Barbados

Offline taramcdsmall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Magner Roxbury/Boston Massachusetts
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 30 March 14 18:03 BST (UK) »
Hi There

Maybe you are reading me wrong,

When I use the expression 'second guess' - it's that experience has taught me that while it would always be super to have forensically correct documents as to every stage of our ancestors lives, the case will always be that time and time again that these 'perfect documents' either never existed, got damaged or destroyed over the years OR that there was a lot of human error.

The latter reason can be for a number of reasons, this can be on the part of the person giving the information and of course it can also be on the part of the person TAKING the information. This person in it's innocent forms may have misheard the information given to them (accents played a huge part in this), they may have also transcribed the information incorrectly or illegibly.

So, this leads back to my 'second guessing' - it's an expression that we use over here to say that 'you may never know' - sometimes you just have to trust your instincts !

Hope that makes sense !

Tara