Author Topic: Gibraltar Rock -Smallbridge, Rochdale  (Read 3670 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Gibraltar Rock -Smallbridge, Rochdale
« on: Monday 15 February 10 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Has anyone come across (in the course of their research) a pub called the GIBRALTAR ROCK? Apparently it closed down sometime in the 1820s, the landlord, Thomas Kershaw, transferring to the Bay Horse. Any information would be welcome, and of course I'm more than willing to share what little information I have. This is part of my attempt to discover more about the Kershaw family of that part of Rochdale

Offline bobmunc

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gibraltar Rock -Smallbridge, Rochdale
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 October 14 19:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I think that it was one of the cottages at the top of Dye House Lane where it joins Halifax Road.
I saw a reference to it somewhere when I was researching the local mills which are from the early 1800s. Unfortunately it didn't give an exact location.
The first mill on Dyehouse Lane was named Rock Mill - perhaps a link there?
Fortunately there is a good photograph of these cottages on `Britain from Above`. If you register (free) it allows you to zoom in.  Search for Smallbridge which brings up 8 images of Green Grove Mill in 1950. Go to image EAW 032735 and at the left hand edge you can see the houses. As I say, I'm not certain that it was one of these but it was mentioned in connection with land on which Green Grove Mill now stands and they are of a contemporary style.
Regarding local research, have you tried the Wardle & Smallbridge History Group's website - WASHG. They're very helpful people!

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 October 14 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Sorry not to have replied more promptly - I've only just seen this in my mailbox. It's been some considerable time since I did any work on my family history, but I'm intending to get back to it now the days are shorter! I'll certainly keep your directions on file, so that when I manage to make the long trip north to Rochdale / Smallbridge, I'll be able to picture where Thomas Kershaw (one of my 3xgreat grandfathers) ran his public house. Incidentally, he was the first person to be buried at St John's, Smallbridge, in August 1834, aged 50. When I refamiliarise myself with 'the Smallbridge connection' I shall do as you suggest and make contact with the local history group. Many thanks for your informative response. Best wishes IAN

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 October 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »
PS I seem to remember being told that the Gibraltar Rock was featured (some years ago) in a Rochdale Observer series on historic public buildings

Offline bobmunc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 February 15 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I contacted you some time ago regarding the Gibraltar pub - I've now found an illustration of it in a book.
Hopefully I've attached a copy of it  which gives a good idea of what it looked like.
The book is named `Smallbridge - a lost village`; the author is Allen Holt and its available from Amazon.

Hope this helps,

Bob Muncaster

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 February 15 16:26 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks indeed for this excellent picture (which may well have been the one used in the Rochdale Observer piece I mentioned in a previous post). I should imagine that the Gibraltar Rock was a fairly rough place. Edwin Waugh in his Lancashire Sketches ('A Ramble from Rochdale to the top of Blackstone Edge') gives a graphic description of the population of Smallbridge in the earlier 19th century - including:
'That man was lucky who could walk through the village without being assailed by something more inconvenient than mere looks of ignorant wonder, and a pelting of course jokes, especially if he happened to wear the appearance of a "teawn's buck." '
I'll definitely download the picture to the Kershaw chapter in my family history.
Thanks and best wishes

Offline bobmunc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 May 16 23:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,
Regarding the Gibraltar Inn at Smallbridge, I recall that you said that Thomas Kershaw went to the Bay Horse when the Gibraltar closed.
I've started a project to record the history of the many pubs in the Smallbridge area and have a Thomas Kershaw at the Bay Horse as early as 1829. There was another Thomas Kershaw in later years; possibly his son; born in 1818. He was at this pub until sometime between 1871 and 1881 when his wife was recorded as a widow.

As this man was at the Bay Horse by 1829, do you think that this means that the Gibraltar was already closed by that time? I've been unable to find any other reference to it and would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions you may have

regards
Bob Muncaster

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 12:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Bob––
I don't know that I can shed much light on the old Gibralter Rock. In J Leigh’s Directory of Bury and Rochdale, 1818, my ancestor
Thomas Kershaw is listed as ‘victualler’ of the Gibraltar Rock public house, Smallbridge.

In 1821 (Pigot & Dean directory, 1821-22) Robert Kershaw is listed as the victualler of the Gibraltar Rock, though in Pigot & Dean 1824 Thomas Kershaw is once again listed as the victualler of the Gibraltar Rock. I am sure the name 'Robert' must have been an error.

In Pigot & Co’s National Commercial Directory, 1828-29, Thomas Kershaw is listed as the keeper of the Bay Horse, Smallbridge (Howarth Cross). This means, I suppose, that the Gibraltar must have closed between 1824 and 1828, though the accuracy of these commercial directories cannot always be relied on

In the 1841 census Mary, Thomas's widow, is described as publican living Wuerdle & Wardle, Howarth Cross [Smallbridge] The 1841 census does not record the name of the Kershaw pub. However, Mary's son Thomas is mentioned [who will be the Thomas you mentioned in your message] and his sister, my direct ancestor Sarah. I should add that confirmation that Thomas Kershaw's wife's name was Mary comes from the MI from St John's, Smallbridge. The most likely candidate is Mary Woolfenden, who married Thomas Kershaw 12 June 1810.

Confusingly, 1841 and 1851 records an Ann Kershaw, publican / innkeeper, living in Smallbridge. And In the Williams Directory of 1845, an Ann Kershaw  is listed as ‘victualler, Bull’s Head’. I am inclined to think that this Ann must have been a relative (sister of Thomas? sister-in-law of Thomas?)

By 1851, Mary (widow of Thomas) was living at Shawlane End, nex door to her daughter, Sarah, now married to Charles Buckley. Living with Mary were three unmarried sons, one of which was Thomas, described as a grocer. Mary is still described as 'victualler'.

I had a cutting––sent to me, I seem to remember, from Touchstones in Rochdale. No dates were mentioned in the article (one of a series [n/d] on notable old buildings of Rochdale), which stated that when the GR closed, its licence was transferred to the Bay Horse. What the licensing arrangements were in those early 19th century days I do not know. Perhaps records survive––worth enquiring at Touchstones, perhaps. The picture in the newspaper article was probably the one who attached to this thread some time ago. I'm embarrassed to add that I can no longer find this cutting. Mr Organised I am not!

Hope some of this helps, and I'd be grateful if you could let me know of any discoveries / conclusions you make ... with best wishes IAN

Offline bobmunc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 June 16 20:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian,
Thanks for all that information. I think that it can be accepted that the Gibraltar Rock closed down as you say in the 1828 to 1828 region.
I'm not sure about the connection with the Bulls head for a couple of reasons. I don't know how familiar you are with the old naming of this little area which is now all Smallbridge. Within no more than half a mile was  Shaw Lane End; Brickfield, Stud Shaw, Howarth Cross and at some undefined place in the middle of these was Black Lane End.   Smallbridge was the small area close to St John's church where there was a small bridge over the stream.

The use of these names seemed to be very flexible, possibly Howarth Cross sounded better than Stud Shaw or Black Lane End?

The Bulls Head was and still is clearly Smallbridge and Mary Kershaw in 1841 was at Howarth Cross.
In 1851 she was at Smallbridge, but very close in the enumerator's list to Howarth Cross - assuming he followed a logical route.
I have a Kershaw reference to the Bulls Head for 1843 when it was describes as `the house of Miss Kershaw' . As you say, she could have been a sister of Thomas.

There was also at this time an Abraham Kershaw; beer seller and shopkeeper of Smallbridge. The words `beer seller` suggest that he had a simple beer house rather than a public house.

I have a number of references to the Bay Horse in connection with Thomas Kershaw up to 1869. They appear to have been father and son. If you're interested I'll send you a summary of the write up.
Regards,

Bob