Author Topic: Tunbridge Wells Maternity Home 1925-1930  (Read 7769 times)

Offline brightmount

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Tunbridge Wells Maternity Home 1925-1930
« on: Friday 17 August 12 13:40 BST (UK) »
During the period 1925-1930, the Tunbridge Wells & Neighbourhood Maternity Hospital was located at 46 & 48 Upper Grosvenor Road. The matron was Miss Harvey. I have been unable to locate any records for the home, I think they have been lost, but would welcome any information about this specific period, especially records or recollections, other than what I have been able to glean from a published document in The Journal of the Royal Society for the Promotion of Health, a few short extracts of which are below:

The Maternity Home as a Health Asset, by F. CHURCHILL LINTON, M.A., M.B., D.P.H., Medical Officer of Health, Tunbridge Wells.

(Being a paper read at the Tunbridge Wells Sessional Meeting, 2nd May, I930.)

… This home is not a municipal home, but is run on voluntary lines, by a committee of ladies who, with the approval and support of the local authorities of the Borough, and of the County Councils of Kent and of East Sussex, from whose areas the patients come, administer the home, raise the money required apart from grants-in-aid and patients’ fees, and generally run its business, displaying an admirable public spirit of help for others and deriving much unselfish pleasure from noting the success with which their efforts are rewarded. The home has ten beds and is staffed by a matron and sister, each possessed of general nursing training as well as the C.M.B. certificate, also one other certificated midwife, and generally three probationer nurses; it consists of two semi-detached four- storied houses, the lowest floor being semi-basement. It runs its own laundry in the basement-a daily laundress being employed-as there is insufficient accommodation for a full domestic staff on the premises; the domestic staff numbers three.   The two houses have been thrown into one, communicating doors being opened in the party-wall on each floor and other partitions removed, so as to make the best use of the premises.

… The home was formally opened in May, 1925, by Mrs. Neville Chamberlain, wife of the Minister for Health of that date. From May to December, 1925, 38 confinements took place in it. During 1926, the number was 127. During 1927, 146. During 1928, 151. During 1929, 168. January-April, 1930, 62. Totalling 692 in 5 years.

… A movement was set on foot to raise funds for the purchase of larger and more suitable premises. These were obtained at Nos. 10 and 12, Calverley Park Gardens - an ideal site. These premises were taken over some time ago, and plans for alterations and estimates of expenses obtained; but the change-over has come at an unfortunate time, as the giving of grants-in-aid was on the point of being transferred from the Ministry of Health to the County Councils, under the terms of the Local Government Act, 1929. This transference took effect on 1st April, 1930, and we await the decisions of the County Councils of Kent and East Sussex, before so much as a plank is lifted or a paint-pot installed.

Offline Smokey807

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tunbridge Wells Maternity Home 1925-1930
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 July 14 11:24 BST (UK) »
I'm just in the process of doing some research for an article about a former resident of 10 Calverley Park Gardens when it was a private residence.#10 was a semi detached Villa (with #12) built in the 19th century on the south side of Calverley Park Gardens and finished in the classical style in white stucco. As you have noted in 1925 both 10 and 12 became the Tunbridge Wells and District Maternity Home and today is known as Highlands House, a mental health facility run by the NHS.

I have a current photo of Highlands House and also  the front page image of the house as presented in the 16th annual report for the Maternity Home at 10 & 12 for the period of April 1,1940 to March 31,1941. If you would like the photos let me know and give me your email address so I can send them.

Below is a story from the womens history website about this Maternity Home.

"After the war, the women of Tunbridge Wells resolved to devote their thank offering for peace to the provision of a maternity home, together with a hostel and day nursery for the children of widows and deserted wives, for the benefit of the town and the neighbourhood.
When, therefore, the Mayor called a meeting to discuss post-war reconstruction, Amelia Scott, representing the National Council of Women, suggested a maternity home as an appropriate scheme. The recently-passed Maternity and Child Welfare Act of 1818 had placed the responsibility for the welfare of mothers and children with local councils and thus the Tunbridge Wells Council set up a Maternity and Child Welfare Committee. By the end of 1919 Amelia Scott and Susan Power, the two new women councillors, were amongst the committee's members.
The proposed Maternity Home would provide services to pregnant women and mothers of children up to school age. It was also proposed to establish a lying-in hospital for complicated cases and for those living in insanitary surroundings. For this purpose the sum of £1478 was raised but it was not until August 1924 that two adjoining freehold houses in Upper Grosvenor Roadd were secured. To meet the requirements of the Ministry of Health and to adapt the premises for a Nursing Home, certain alterations and additions had to be made, including the installation of electric light, and arrangements made for a good hot water supply.
The Home was not intended to be run as a money-making concern, but to meet the needs of many who were suffering from the inconvenience of lack of adequate housing. The Town Council draw up agreement with the NCW Thankoffering Maternity Home Committee, by which the latter undertook to meet the cost of four beds in the home

Offline Kimbatty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 October 15 17:26 BST (UK) »
I'd love to see the photographs of the building today if you still have those. I'm just typing up recollections from my husbands grandmother who has written that she worked at the maternity home in Tunbridge Wells for 3 years, along with her sister and they both did domestic duties and were there for approx. 3 years having both come from Wales. They heard about the roles from 2 sisters who lived in their local welsh village who had been working at a hotel in Tunbridge Wells
It would be lovely to see the building in which she spent several years working hard

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 16 October 15 17:42 BST (UK) »
I'll be walking into Tunbridge Wells via Upper Grosvenor Road tomorrow morning (Sat 17th).  Happy to take a couple of photos of 46 & 48 for you!
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline brightmount

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 16 October 15 18:32 BST (UK) »
Kimbatty is referring to the period when the maternity home was at Highlands House. I'm attaching a couple of photos from that time, sorry they are small and not great. I was born there in 1965!

Offline brightmount

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 16 October 15 18:33 BST (UK) »
This is the building in Upper Grosvenor Road that was the maternity home in the 1920s...

Offline brightmount

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 16 October 15 18:34 BST (UK) »
oops that came out big!

Offline JaneyH_104

• RootsChat Member
  • My great-grandmother, Alice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 16 October 15 18:43 BST (UK) »
Beaten to it!
BOWDLER - Forest of Dean & Devon, DYSON, ENTWISTLE & TOWNEND - Huddersfield, CLARKE - Dorset, SCOBLE - Devon, HOUGH, COPE & WHITTAKER - Cheshire, BRACHER - Wiltshire, DENNISS - Herts/Hunts, SQUIRE - Hunts/Beds, BROWN - Herts/Beds

Offline Kimbatty

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 16 October 15 19:01 BST (UK) »
That's brilliant thanks I'll show to my father in law who's mum is was who worked there with her sister. Thanks so much and my email is (*) for the poster who said they could send pics to email.
Much appreciated   

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php