Author Topic: Ciliane Beck (nee Prebensen) and her family in San Francisco  (Read 2044 times)

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
Ciliane Beck (nee Prebensen) and her family in San Francisco
« on: Tuesday 08 July 14 04:27 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, I'm Ashley from New Zealand and I'm doing some research on my Great Aunt Ciliane Beck (nee Prebensen) and her immediate family (husband Peter, daughter Anna and son-in-law George).

As you will see from my own reseach below I have gathered some approximate dates (highlighted in bold), that, if possible I'm hoping may be able to replace with precise dates. My main focus is on Ciliane, but any information or assistance given will be wonderful. :)

Sincerely

Ashley

Research:

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=pv&GRid=87836966&PIpi=71161572

Ciliane Beck (nee Prebensen) was also known as Celiana Beck or as Annie Beck. She was born in Denmark on the 24th November, 1860 to Jens and Ane Prebensen. She married Peder (Peter) Beck in New Zealand on the 10th April, 1876. Peter was born in Denmark in about 1844 as the son of Jens Beck.

Ciliane and Peter became parents to a daughter Anna Beck who was born in New Zealand on the 2nd April, 1877.

Ciliane immigrated to the USA with Peter and their daughter Anna in about 1883, settling in San Francisco.

Ciliane died in about 1897 and was buried at the Cypress Lawn Memorial in Colma, San Mateo, USA.

Daughter Anna Beck married George Hills in about 1899. George was born about 1860.

Peter Beck died in about 1903 and was buried next to his wife Ciliane.

Daughter Anna and her husband George moved to Washington and lived in the Seattle area after the big San Francisco earthquake of 1906.
Anna died on the 26th November, 1950 and was buried with her parents at the Cypress Lawn Memorial. Her husband George joined her when he passed away in about 1952. He was also buried along with Anna, Ciliane and Peter at the Cypress Lawn Memorial.
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Ciliane Beck (nee Prebensen) and her family in San Francisco
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 06:28 BST (UK) »
Peter Beck passed away April 5, 1903.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/017zc/
If the link doesn't show the actual image, type
   Beck Mrs. George Hills
You should then be able to see the image

Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 06:31 BST (UK) »
Annie Beck passed away December 30, 1897:
http://www.rootschat.com/links/017ze/
If the link doesn't work, key words are
   Beck aged 39 years
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 06:56 BST (UK) »
According to the 1900 San Francisco census, Peter Beck was living with George and Annie Hills.  He apparently was born in March 1844 and according to the image, immigrated in 1860.  ???  Annie Hills, according to the image, immigrated in 1883.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 08:05 BST (UK) »
In case you aren't aware of this site:
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/sfdata.htm
It may help with your research.

My husband's ancestors lived in San Francisco during that period, and one lived near Tehama Street (where Mr. Beck lived in 1900).  If you have any questions about San Francisco, I may be able to answer them.

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 01:13 BST (UK) »
I would very much like to give a big thank you to Lisa in California. The information provided is a huge help, and I am looking forward to updaing my family tree.

The Sad thing is Ciliane (Annie) died only 7 months after her father Jens died here in New Zealand (he died on the 11th May, 1897), and 2 months after her niece Flora died here in New Zealand (she died on the 21st October, 1897).

Thank you

Ashley
"With time, persistance and help, we can fill in all the missing pieces of the puzzle."

Offline Ashnz

• RootsChat Senior
  • NZ genelogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 06:11 BST (UK) »
A thought occurred to me, if anybody would happen to know of a website where you can search the old newspapers for Seattle, Washington. I'm thinking George's death would most likely have an obituary in there.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 July 14 14:11 BST (UK) »
There are some Seattle newspapers on www.genealogybank.com and http://www.rootschat.com/links/0184x/   They require payment to see the full article, but you can see a segment of the paper with the results.  I didn't see anything that seemed to match. 

I don't see a death for George on the Washington or California death index, but having an exact date of death may help. 

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 July 14 00:20 BST (UK) »
George W Hills was interred at Cypress Lawn on June 11, 1952.  There is no date of death recorded at the cemetery for Mr. Hills.  He "came to the cemetery" from Hillcrest Cemetery, Grants Pass, Oregon.  I hope this is of some help.

PS  Death index for Oregon
George W Hills, died 14 February 1952.  Place of death: Josephine (County?)
Possibly the same man as above?