Author Topic: Royal Engineers - 179th Tunnelling Company  (Read 5436 times)

Offline Pilgrim22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Engineers - 179th Tunnelling Company
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 April 14 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Ray,
My family name is Niland.  Your relative must be 132829 Sapper A J Mudway.  In which case he is buried along with my granddad and five others in Faubourg-d'Amiens Commonwealth War Graves Cemetery in Arras.  They were all killed together on Wednesday 28 March 1917 when two German shells landed on their pay parade! If you go into the CWGC website and enter your relative's details you could probably find out a bit more on him. Hope this is of help to you.  Also a lot of info out there on 179 Coy.  Regards, Joe

Offline lostpast

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 April 14 01:54 BST (UK) »
thanks Joe - yes, that's him.  Should have been quick at least. Looks like my family has a penchant for dying in such circumstances :-\  Luckily Albert is the only family member of 7 that served in WW1 to die tho two were invalided out from disease & gassing.

We've traced most lines of the Mudway family back to Thomas Mathway, married in 1703.

Offline Copenhagen

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 07 August 14 04:18 BST (UK) »
My Great Grandfather Frederick John Speed was one of the men killed in the shell attack on the pay parade on 28/03/1917.  Sad story really, I'm just thankfull he was not one of the poor souls unable to be recovered from the mines.