Author Topic: Medical records for 1st bn royal fusiliers  (Read 535 times)

Offline Ang1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Medical records for 1st bn royal fusiliers
« on: Thursday 10 April 14 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am trying to find more information about my husbands grandfather, Harry Frank
Bush, L/11034.  He died on 18th Nov 1915 and is buried in Reningelst New Military Cemetery.  We have a photograph of him with his wife when he was sent home after being injured and then he was sent back to the front.  I have been trying to find out what his war record would have been but keep getting stuck.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Medical records for 1st bn royal fusiliers
« Reply #1 on: Friday 11 April 14 00:48 BST (UK) »
Hi
Welcome to rootschat....Ww1 records that survive are 99% on Ancestry or they may be on Find My Past up to 1915 ...unfortunately 60-70% were lost in the blitz of WW2
Medal index cards are also available on ancestry or national archives discovery site.
He will have a mention on CWGC and maybe worth looking in local paper for obituary.
It MAY be possible to find his battalion and then you can get hold of the unit war diary to find out exactly what happened that day he died,

EDIT he was a pre war regular so mustve enlisted after 1911 one of the old Contemptibles he entered France September 1914.
Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Ang1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 11 April 14 12:54 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help Ady.  I have found the medal records and a form to say that he joined the militia ( was that like the TA or regular soldier) so would love to find the unit diary.  I shall keep looking!

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 11 April 14 20:31 BST (UK) »
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7352349

War diary link cost £3.30

He maybe joined militia as trial before fulltime enlistment,probably in Kinsale ireland pre war.

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Ang1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 11 April 14 23:25 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the link, Ady.  I have downloaded it and it is fascinating.  It will take quite a time to read but a few pieces have already fitted into the jigsaw.