Author Topic: Hartnoll Family Barnstaple  (Read 5578 times)

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hartnoll Family Barnstaple
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 January 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »

Thank-you all for such a swift response.  This is much more than I expected  I do have to apologize for one thing.  When I said Hartnolls of Barnstaple I was not as specific as I should have been.

The father John was not born in Barnstaple but in Pilton 15 Oct. 1808. Parents were Phillip and Miriam.
He went to work in London and returned with his wife Amey Bosher and daughter Miriam to work and live out his life in Barnstaple.
However, all that you gave me fits - the names of his kids follow those of his parents, brothers etc.

Sorry I wasn't thorough enough.  Still to have all this is wonderful as I track my gg grandmother's nieces and nephews.

Thanks again,   Anne

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 January 14 19:50 GMT (UK) »
Think we realised where John was b from early census

Don't know if you have nthis? -if so here it is again

Marriage after Banns
28 Aug 1842 St John the Evangelist Lambeth
John Hartnoll full age Bachelor occ Carpenter of Royal St father Phillip Hartnoll occ Carpenter
Amey Bosher spinster full age of Roal St father James Bosher occ labourer
witnesses W Davey M Davey
all signed

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Barley corn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 15 August 14 23:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there, have just stumbled on this site and would let you know that John James Hartnoll was my fraternal Great Grandfather. His son Percy was my Grandfather my father Harold is still alive (98) I'm another John now living in outback Australia

Offline annejan_1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 August 14 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting in touch. I am related to John James Hartnoll through his father John Hartnoll who was brother to my GG grandma Mary Ann Hartnoll (m. Edward Turner Bishop) My dad, their Ggrandson is also still living at age 95.

Interestingly I traveled to Devon from Canada this May and spent time in Pilton and Barnstaple even Braunton where the earlier generations originated.

Check out the Pilton Story website for a write-up of John James's ancestors. I have more info and pictures to share. Have you been to England?

If you'd like what I have send a PM.     4th Cousin ?    Anne

Offline Barley corn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 August 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,
Bit of a dummy with this roots chat stuff. If I read it correctly I am not allowed to PM you until I have done certain things. For a quick contact ( and excuse me if this is naughty) my email address is johmaz1973@gmail.com    FYI I lived in the UK until I emigrated to Australia way back in 1971. I have been to Barnstable and the general area but before starting any interest in family history.....I suspect this is an "age" thing. I'll dig out the information I have in anticipation of your reply. Best Wishes John