Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)Scotland's People .. Cannot Find Records .. Why?  (Read 14145 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Scotland's People .. Cannot Find Records .. Why?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 08:28 BST (UK) »
Just to add my experience of family bibles. 

I inherited my Mother's family's bible. Some of the information was correct but quite a bit was wrong. It took me ages to find correct BMDs with some of the info. So I wouldn't take what's written there as completely accurate, if I were you, Alex.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 08:37 BST (UK) »
Just to add my experience of family bibles. 

I inherited my Mother's family's bible. Some of the information was correct but quite a bit was wrong. It took me ages to find correct BMDs with some of the info. So I wouldn't take what's written there as completely accurate, if I were you, Alex.

Gadget

I would agree Gadget. It would not be unusual to record a date of birth slightly out to make the birth "respectable". Robert and Isabella married Dec 1853. Perhaps John was born shortly after their marriage??  His year of birth might have been misremembered or altered by whoever wrote the details in the Bible. A birth shortly after the wedding might have been frowned upon if the family member was religious (Presbyterian?).
Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 08:42 BST (UK) »
Also Alex I think you have to widen your search for a death for Robert Bryce.
He was informant on 1856 birth of Jane so therefore there should be a death cert.
Isabella is recorded as a widow in 1861, so you should check between these years. But bear in mind just because Isabella said she was a widow in 1861 doesn't mean she was a widow.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 08:45 BST (UK) »
A birth shortly after the wedding might have been frowned upon if the family member was religious (Presbyterian?).

Agree in the main. However, my granny was born the day after her parents were married!  It wasn't recorded in a bible though - just what I discovered  ;D

Alex - do you have any info on Robert - date and place of birth; who he was previously married to. The marriage entry to Isabella doesn't record either of them as being widow/widower, although Isabella''s death record records two  husbands.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 08:47 BST (UK) »
He was informant on 1856 birth of Jane so therefore there should be a death cert.
Isabella is recorded as a widow in 1861, so you should check between these years. But bear in mind just because Isabella said she was a widow in 1861 doesn't mean she was a widow.

I've been searching with  open dates for a while, Looby.  I think we need some age info at least - there are a lot of Robert B*s on the censuses.

Gadget

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 08:49 BST (UK) »

I've been searching with  open dates for a while, Looby.  I think we need some age info at least - there are a lot of Robert B*s on the censuses.

Gadget

Snap ;D

Offline New Zealander

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 09:08 BST (UK) »
Hello again ..

The best information that I have for Isabella MacKay.

She was born circa 1827 her parents were Archibald MacKay occupation tailor and mother Isabella McLean.  She made a first marriage to William Clark.  The date or location of this marriage is not known. 

Upon marriage to Robert Bryce on 17.12.1853 Isabella was a widow, likewise Robert Bryce.  Both were residents in the Parish of Barony in Glasgow and after marriage were living at 192 Stobcross Street, Gorbals, Glasgow.

Robert Bryce had previously being married to Margaret Little.  This marriage took place on 27.04.1841 and both were living in Barony, Glasgow.  They had a son James Bryce born on 25.12.1844 (he is my great grand father).  Margaret died (we believe ) on 05.11.1847 and is interred in St Cuthbert's,  Edinburgh. 

At this time Robert Bryce was employed as a railway man for the North British Railway Company.  He had previously being employed as a coachman in Glasgow.

I do thank you for your continued interest.

Hope this assists.

Alex G
Glasgow .. Glennie/Bryce, Aberdeenshire .. Glennie/ Grassick,
Clackmannanshire .. Bryce/Miller
Arbroath .. Spink
Oxfordshire .. Green
Cornwall .. Vincent

Ireland (Cobh) .. Sullivan

New Zealand .. Glennie/Bryce/Grassick/Spink/Palmer

Chatham Islands .. Rewai

Australia .. Glennie/Ross/Lusk

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Alex,
Have you found Robert and his son James on the 1851 Census?

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 20 May 14 09:43 BST (UK) »
Alex,
Have you found Robert and his son James on the 1851 Census?

I see him on the 1851 with his mother, Agnes(s) in Lanark. He's shown as aged 39 and 'formerly a  railway station ? '. with him is son James, aged 6.

Alex, did James marry in Scotland? If so, when, where and what does it say about Robert?

Gadget